Look at my oil leak.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BigCarrot

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A relocation kit is a different animal all together. I though OP was trying to eliminate plumbing, not add more.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the oil filter adapter, mine started leaking like the Deepwater Horizon. Turns out it was the o-ring between the block and oil filter adapter split.

drtyTshrt

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies.
I am going to start tearing into it today.
I will figure it out as I go along.

Probably with more questions and photos.

tom joyce

Reaction score
Can't do a straight filter set up on a IFS unless you move the location of filter with a filter relocation kit.
You can cut those crimps off and use simple hose clamps to attatch hose to oil pipe...

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can't do a straight filter set up on a IFS unless you move the location of filter with a filter relocation kit.
You can cut those crimps off and use simple hose clamps to attatch hose to oil pipe...
Not correct... I got rid of my oil cooler on my 94 4x4. Used a old school/regular oil filter adapter. It just bolts in place of the oil filter adapter. The pic I added shows it fits my 94 of course but will fit all small block Chevy (5.0 to 5.7) and the 4.3 also, does not fit the new generation of small blocks though(4.8 to 6.0) obviously. You can not use a m40 filter like the 2wd trucks though as it'll be to tall. You must use the older m454 filter. It's the same filter as the m40 but not as tall.. I had about 1/2"-3/4" clearance from my driveshaft, and that's with old worn out motor mounts too. No real crank on the torsion bars except to level the truck out either, so that may have been the trick. But most of us with 4wd crank to level anyways right from the start. I have a 6" lift now so I can fit any filter I want now though....lol..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
You must be registered for see images attach

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Not correct... I got rid of my oil cooler on my 94 4x4. Used a old school/regular oil filter adapter. It just bolts in place of the oil filter adapter. The pic I added shows it fits my 94 of course but will fit all small block Chevy (5.0 to 5.7) and the 4.3 also, does not fit the new generation of small blocks though(4.8 to 6.0) obviously. You can not use a m40 filter like the 2wd trucks though as it'll be to tall. You must use the older m454 filter. It's the same filter as the m40 but not as tall.. I had about 1/2"-3/4" clearance from my driveshaft, and that's with old worn out motor mounts too. No real crank on the torsion bars except to level the truck out either, so that may have been the trick. But most of us with 4wd crank to level anyways right from the start. I have a 6" lift now so I can fit any filter I want now though....lol..

You must be registered for see images attach

Just to make sure, this will remove the oil cooler lines on my 1997 k1500 that is cranked level, no gasket needed between block and this?

Makes sense, like this?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...89524d1465516569-1984-oil-cooler-hoses-11.jpg

Last edited:

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just to make sure, this will remove the oil cooler lines on my 1997 k1500 that is cranked level, no gasket needed between block and this?
Correct it will let you remove the oil cooler lines and the adapter that they go into.

The one I got came with the gasket. From factory that style never used a gasket from what I had read from numerous places though. So I just used a little rtv around the raised lip of the adapter and bolted it up.

You will need 2 new bolts to bolt it in as the ones from the oil cooler adapter are gonna be waaaay to long.. if I remember correctly the size you need will be 5/16x18 and about 1-1/8" long.

Last edited:

SierraDully

Reaction score
I second that. I've pulled a few oil filter adapters off older 5.7's that don't have the cooler lines and they fit right up to the oil cooler line version. Nice simple factory equipment way to delete the oil cooler lines as they will continue to go bad unless you replace with the nice stainless braided lines that cost too much.
Also gives a boost in oil pressure in my experience. (After you delete the oil cooler entirely)

Mo-Z71

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced any issues at all deleting the oil cooler lines? I am not towing anything really, except a lawn mower on a 6x12 from time to time in the summer. I am thinking about doing the oil cooler line delete.

I signed up here today and this is my first post. I have a 94 K1500 350TBI with 250.000 miles. This Forum already helped me a lot with all kinds of things.
Today i was letting the truck warm up a couple minutes and i noticed oil running out in a stream pretty much, out of the front skid plate. I followed the oil to the upper oil cooler line. Like the first post here, the oil leaks out the holes of the fitting it looked like. After reading through several threads, i will probably do the delete. I hardly ever tow anything, the heaviest would probably be a lawnmower in the summer sometimes. I do ride through the woods from time to time, but not too hard, like hitting mud holes and all that.
From what i read I feel like i should be good just deleting the oil cooler. I will probably try a junkyard this week and see if i can find a filter adapter, if not i order one.
Let me know what yall think. Thanks and Happy new year.