Light restoration on 2000 k2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
What a steal! I recently painted my frame and services the engine/trans in mine, looks no where as good as yours!

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
i used rustoleum COAL TAR epoxy primer. Its a two part epoxy that mixes like molasses. I sprayed it but you can only spray it with a pressure pot gun and a .086 or larger gun orifice. In the future i think i will just brush it on, on the other hand it is impossible to get all the nooks and crannys of the frame unless you spray.

Its a steel ship primer rated for salt water immersion

You know i sort of ed up when i assembled everything, i should really have used sealant between everything i bolted to the frame to keep the water and or road salt out. I will probably pull the bed off again this summer and seal it up, sounds like a lot of work but honestly its just 8 bolts, disconnect the wiring, and lift with a chainfall.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to check that out, I've been looking at a few industrial grade products to use when I pull my bed off in the spring. I only want to do this once, so I'm avoiding a lot of the popular options out there

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Found it, that's an impressive product. What did you do for surface prep? 1 coats or 2? And did you use more than 1 gallon?

Sorry for the many questions

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Swap that 6.0 into the 400!!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

sparky24

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prepped it by wire wheeling the entire frame removing all of the scale down to good metal, then i also used a small cup wire wheel on a die grinder to get the tight areas. I very quickly hit the easy to reach areas of the frame with a 36 grit flapper disc, then i washed the entire frame down with a gallon of MEK solvent, you have to wipe it down to the point that when you take a clean rag to it, the rag comes back clean.

I spent 1 entire day prepping it and then sprayed in the evening, i was done at like 10 PM but it was one brutal day lol. I used about a gallon doing 3-4 coats, it says on the can that you want it to be very thick to encapsulate the metal. It gives a minimum 'film' thickness recommended. I also shot the axle and leaf springs at the same time

I sprayed the bottom of the bed another day and all my new crossmembers... used another gallon on that. Luckily the stuff is pretty cheap so i figured i would just lay in on gooooood

i wear a full face respirator when doing this kind of work

Last edited:

sparky24

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
the 6.0 truck is a monster!! I have been beating on it a little and found out that it has a locker :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang: that thing has got some balls compared to my k2500 def not built as well as the older trucks tho

sparky24

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
from about a week ago

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images