LED light bar mounting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
Lol....well I'm going to chime in with no known knowledge of led light bars...and say its probably like everything else in the world..cheap ones are ok, expensive ones are barely better and 10 x the price

Live action!!

Blaze4g63

Reaction score
If you're referring to me, it's a 24" on the grille guard.

There is a guy on the forum (MTM1) I belive who ahs a light bar in the bumper where the impact strip goes. He's on facebook.

That black truck is what im trying to do also, but mines a 50 in so it will go alot further acrossed the bumper, im just going to go for it and cut the bumper like he did. A brand new bumpers like 150 bucks so its no big deal if i dont like it.

ChevyDave

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That black truck is what im trying to do also, but mines a 50 in so it will go alot further acrossed the bumper, im just going to go for it and cut the bumper like he did. A brand new bumpers like 150 bucks so its no big deal if i dont like it.

Lol I think I'm going to try it to, but mines not a brand new bumper. What do you think he put around the opening?

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
A straight bar isn't going to follow the shape of the bumper so I think it'll leave big gaps in some places. But I'm interested to see this for sure

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Do they make a smaller curved bars? I like the idea MTM1 went with, would be neat to have it follow the bumper curve though.
PS, I've compared my rigid Dually floods to cheap "identical" 6-led spots, my lights were ridiculously brighter, and my floods sent light just as far as his spots.
Not to mention if I ever EVER smash, twist, tear or burn em up. I'll go get a free warrantied pair just down the road.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Rigid and cheap wanna-be lights aren't even remotely close in terms of output, and quality. Yes, they will both make light. That's where the similarity stops. Most all of the cheap straight bars coming from across the pond use tempered glass for a lens. Alibaba and eBay, it seems there are only a few people making them but a lot of 'resellers'.

Rigid and Baja use polycarbonate. ( lexan ) Toss both on a front bumper and drive down a gravel road to see which one lives, and which one is broken after following vehicles. Not to mention, once you break the lens, then the light is junk, unless you buy lexan in the same thickness and make your own lens. That is, assuming it arrived from China without the lens already broken.

Fit and finish is poor. A friend of mine that bought a cheap 30" one, has been trying to chase down a leak, even after taking it apart to seal it up with clear silicone. Bare wire coming out of the bar, no connector. The wire is adequate, but not great. Bare spots missing powdercoating in between the fins are hot spots for corrosion to start.

Cheap bars have basically zero invested in terms of reflector and optics. This is where the Baja and Rigid are light years ahead of copies. Warranty?

Keep buying cheap knock offs if it makes you happy but there is no comparison to the real deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vShTn7bWes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXMzkh-NzJk

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rigid and cheap wanna-be lights aren't even remotely close in terms of output, and quality. Yes, they will both make light. That's where the similarity stops. Most all of the cheap straight bars coming from across the pond use tempered glass for a lens. Alibaba and eBay, it seems there are only a few people making them but a lot of 'resellers'.

Rigid and Baja use polycarbonate. ( lexan ) Toss both on a front bumper and drive down a gravel road to see which one lives, and which one is broken after following vehicles. Not to mention, once you break the lens, then the light is junk, unless you buy lexan in the same thickness and make your own lens. That is, assuming it arrived from China without the lens already broken.

Fit and finish is poor. A friend of mine that bought a cheap 30" one, has been trying to chase down a leak, even after taking it apart to seal it up with clear silicone. Bare wire coming out of the bar, no connector. The wire is adequate, but not great. Bare spots missing powdercoating in between the fins are hot spots for corrosion to start.

Cheap bars have basically zero invested in terms of reflector and optics. This is where the Baja and Rigid are light years ahead of copies. Warranty?

Keep buying cheap knock offs if it makes you happy but there is no comparison to the real deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vShTn7bWes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXMzkh-NzJk
That first video could have been summed up in about a minute, that guy is an idiot, and also when he was testing the rigid light he didn't cut off the "China" light so you couldn't fully tell the pattern it lit up by itself, I don't think its a great on off stand alone comparison. I don't doubt that a rigid is better , just that they are stupid expensive

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think anyone doubts the quality of rigid or vision x(not bullet proof either, I've seen a handful with inoperative LEDs and moisture in the housings happens) I also don't believe it's either rigid or total garbage poor quality. there's middle ground there where a person can get good lumen output+beam pattern options for a fair amount and hopefully long life. Rigid is making good housings and their name.. Pretty sure they don't have a proprietary led design.

Now if someone buys a 50" light bar for 50-100 dollars we can all assume quality probably isn't the highest.