LED headlight bulb replacement install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I can't wait to see what these look like! Between headlights from autolumination.com and these crazy expensive Silverstars I've wasted a ridiculous amount of money on headlights in this thing and I'm still not happy with them.

I need to come stalk that Suburban and see them in person sometime!
I honestly think the only real solution are OEM quality HID's (which coincidentally pretty much only come in 4300K, and cost a fortune) along with an OEM projector retrofit. Lots of work and expense, to be sure, but the best results. Dunno if I'm willing to put that work in just yet.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OK, extremely preliminary adjustments (had to get to work.)

Aimed at a fence, fairly level ground, 25' away:
You must be registered for see images attach

Not as wide a pattern as stock halogens but decent.

From the front...

I also backed all the way down the driveway in the wrecker and looked at them head-on from sitting in the truck. Not blinding to me, though I am sitting up higher than most.

Later I thought, why not a quickie distance check? Parked at end of driveway, 18 storage unit doors and the 25' stretch of driveway at the end of them, making pretty much 200' - you can see the light reflected on the fence in the distance. The sloped-center driveway and all the extra lighting kinda obscures some of the detail, but:

Thoughts so far, vs. HID's:
Love the instant-on vs. waiting to warm up
Love the reliable "on every time"
Not as bright, not necessarily a bad thing; the HID's were obnoxiously bright
Better pattern in the TYC housings
Able to adjust housings closer to level instead of down
Road signs still very visible, reflective ones light up like crazy

Could probably stand a more careful adjusting as I still might have them a little high. Need a much darker area to work in next time.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Everyone I talk to seems to think LEDs are the magical fix that are as bright as HIDs but with none of the downfalls. I've also talked to way too many people without HID experience that claim they have all the downfalls I've only seen with LEDs.
Definitely NOT as bright as HID's. Actually a more reasonable brightness level. Much better pattern, I think, than the HID's I had in there. Results will obviously vary depending on housings used and what bulbs were used, how they fit, etc. My DDM HID's had a horrible pattern, even with the housings aimed down a bit I could see light on distant walls WAY up the wall in a weird shape. With the LED's there is actually something you might stretch and call a cutoff!

Richard

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think they are a good middle of the road choice. Not as bright as hids but brighter than stock without the headaches. I've had one headlight too many times because a bulb/ballast didn't feel like firing off that day.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this I appreciate it!
I've considered HID's, but honestly I want to punch 90% of the people around here with them (especially people that put them in their fogs it seems) and don't want to be one of those A-holes.
I have the same housings as yours, I think I am gonna see about getting a set of those myself. Mind if I ask where you found them?

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those look really good in there and seem to have a decent pattern. I'm also interested in where you got them and how much they ran you.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Mine are from TorchStar, $70 shipped. They have a site with some offerings but their ebay store has more, including the ones I bought. Two features I really like are, no separate power supply like those V-LED's have, and no fans like the SuperBrights have. The fans always seemed like such an obvious point of failure. Replaced too many on computers throughout my former life as an I.T. dork, fans are always going bad, especially those little ones. And that's in an indoors environment, not the temperature, moisture, and dust extremes of automotive use.

Edit - nice to see the V-LED's style they are coming out with lets you change the depth of it in the housing so you can try for best pattern/output.

Richard