Leaf spring bushing access/install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys- what's process for leaf/bushing replacement on a Tahoe? With wheel off, Jack under axle, then what? Jack under bumper? Never done this before and I need steps to safely unbolt the springs from their perches to then drill out, etc..- thanks in advance!!

BeatUp98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never done shackles that weren't already broke but when I've put blocks in for a lift that's basically how we did it. Support axle with jack and the jacked up on the hitch until pressure was off of the axle. Not claiming anything about this being safe but it definitely worked.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You'll need 4 jack stands. Jack the axle up, use 2 on the axle. Remove the lower shock bolts. Jack up the chassis - I use the hitch - until the axle raises slightly off the stands. lower down still it touches, remove the u-bolts holding the springs to the axle. Jack the chassis back up so the springs are off the axle and the guide pin, add the other 2 jack stands under frame in case the jack gives. Remove the bolts for the springs, or burn them off.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am assuming you are supporting the frame with the other two jack stands you mentioned but didn't say where you put them. I would jack the truck and put two real sturdy jack stands under the frame forward of the axle. Then a jack under the rear axle to take weight from the springs. Undo the rear shackles and lower the axle onto the other two stands. Now all heavy stuff is safely supported and the truck is also secure for you to go under and disconnect the springs from the axle. I work by myself and never ever go under any vehicle jacked up without real stands ,not the cheap auto zone stands with the 7" base. If working on dirt or asphalt the stands get a piece of steel or plywood under them. Jack stands sink into asphalt.

Last edited:

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks- I wasn't sure if the leaf springs have to be completely removed or not to get at the shackle bushings- I assume if you didn't remove the u bolts, there would still be too much pressure on the springs.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are just doing the shackles no need to remove the spring. Just support the truck by the frame, Take weight off the axle remove the shackle bolts and lower the rear.

This guy made getting the bolts out easy
You must be registered for see images attach
out easy.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:lol: That's one way to do it!

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok a bit confused- so properly use jack stands forward of axle on frame, 2 more under axle itself, jack up under tow hitch to remove sprung weight, undo shackle bolts, replace bushings, repeat for install, that sound right? Or, since I'm this far, remove entire leafs to put new u bolts/hardware in? Thanks a ton, guys.... Just want this done right and safely

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are not removing the springs you don't need stands under the axle. Jack up the truck and support the frame, put the jack under the rear axle in the center and just lift enough to take the weight off the shackles a couple inches is fine. When you remove the shackle bolts you will be able to lower the axle to replace the shackles then just jack the rear axle back up to put the shackle bolts in.