Just bought a Burb with a giant engine...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
Hi boys and girls. Just used my first born child as an excuse to get another full-sized SUV (have had a '77 k5 Blazer and 97/00 Expeditions in the past). Had this Burb for about a month now. She's got a clean interior, smooth engine and transmission and only 66k on the clock, but has been needing a lot of minor work and it's annoyingly adding up.

Love this thing's engine when I'm in a throttling mood but damn she's thirsty, so I've been accelerating ridiculously slow for the most part. My other car is a tiny Scion 4 banger that gets about 30mpg, so I figure if you average them out my carbon (and wallet) footprint ain't so bad.

Looking forward to this forum as it looks like it gets more action than the other one I joined. I've mainly just got questions, but I'll try and help-out when I can.

Main issues I'm trying to work out at the moment are a hard-start when warm, a leak from the rear barn doors when it rains, and it seems all my freon has seeped out since first getting this truck (could actually hear it lightly hissing for a while).

So far I've done the following to the land boat:

New tires and wheels (Yoko Gealander ATS 265/75/16 on black rims) - replaced cracked tires and rusty chrome rims

These new tires rubbed all over my saggy front end so I had the torsion bars torqued up to level her up and had an alignment done

Swapped out second row captain's chairs (sold on craigslist) for a bench

Replaced windshield (leaking badly from bad seal)

Changed oil and replaced fuel filter and air filter

Fixed up some minor electrical components - which is apparently a common issue with these trucks

Soon To Do:

I'm going to take her to the shop soon to have the valve covers re-sealed (they're leaking pretty bad), and the transmission serviced (just a dump and filter change - no flush). I'll also need a new battery sooner than later. One of my door locks doesn't quite open and shut. My antenna doesn't seem to be properly attached (really bad reception) - but I'll probably just figure that out once I get a new head unit to install.

I doubt anyone is still reading this tome, but here are a pair of pictures that don't do her justice (lighting ain't right), but they're all I've got. The front end is now the same height as the rear and the lug nuts are all black.

You must be registered for see images attach

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Thanks Scotty. It looks like we share an affinity for black rims.

Thanks for the welcome!

Haha yeah, those were painted black when I got the truck. I bought some more though.
You must be registered for see images

Then traded for a Blazer

and bought more black wheels :lol:

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I'm usually not either, but my stepside was rusty :lol: the hood caught my eye first and then the amount of lift. 3" factory suspension, 2" suspension and 3" body lift. Close to 8" over a non zr2. It was a love/hate with the original whelp and tires. Would love a hoe or burb though.

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
I'm usually not either, but my stepside was rusty :lol: the hood caught my eye first and then the amount of lift. 3" factory suspension, 2" suspension and 3" body lift. Close to 8" over a non zr2. It was a love/hate with the original whelp and tires. Would love a hoe or burb though.

I say trade the zr2 for a two door 'Hoe.