Just bought a Burb with a giant engine...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You say this has a "giant engine" and you love it when you're in the "throttling mood" but you never tell us what engine is actually in it.....So, any info?

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
You say this has a "giant engine" and you love it when you're in the "throttling mood" but you never tell us what engine is actually in it.....So, any info?

His signature says it has a 454

BTW, nice Burb, I have a sweet spot for the 2500 Suburbans!

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
Nice burb, cant wait to see what happens.

Thanks. I don't really plan to do anything too exciting to her right now. Just want to get her refurbished at this point. Maybe an exhaust that's not too rumbly once everything else is shored up.

I see that the mystery has since been solved, but yeah, I suppose I should have been a bit more forward with that info. I guess it's probably not such a 'giant' engine to you all either, but the way this boat can move off the line is still impressive to me.

His signature says it has a 454

BTW, nice Burb, I have a sweet spot for the 2500 Suburbans!

Thanks for clearing that up Tim! I'm developing a sweet spot for these beasts as well. But man does she eat fuel. It must of been free back in '99.

LOL...didn't see a sig before but I see it now ;)

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Main issues I'm trying to work out at the moment are a hard-start when warm...

More-than-likely that's your FPR going bad, or you have a fuel pump that is going bad. Test your pressure with the engine cold and the key on, engine running, and then monitor pressure with the engine off and key in off position. If fuel pressure and all that is good, I'd test your coil (Or just swap it for a nice accel unit, it's $5 cheaper than OEM) when the coil is hot.

Do you have a Haynes or Chiltons for the truck yet? If not, well... I shouldn't have to say anything else.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
More-than-likely that's your FPR going bad, or you have a fuel pump that is going bad. Test your pressure with the engine cold and the key on, engine running, and then monitor pressure with the engine off and key in off position. If fuel pressure and all that is good, I'd test your coil (Or just swap it for a nice accel unit, it's $5 cheaper than OEM) when the coil is hot.

Do you have a Haynes or Chiltons for the truck yet? If not, well... I shouldn't have to say anything else.

Thanks for the input. I started another thread specifically about the hard start, and it does seem that a bad FPR is the consensus. Getting a manual is definitely on my todo list, although I typically just find myself frustrated with the inaccuracy of those manuals that tend to cover too many years and models...

Sweet burb, always wanted a 454 one for some reason..

Live action!!

"for some reason" - yeah, cuz they're awesome!

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Thought I'd chime in...I have a 3/4t burb as well.Although it's a little older than yours with about 250,000 miles on it but I love it.I call it my off road & tow pig.Being a '95 it's the last year of TBI and has OK power,wish it had more.You have a burb I'd love to have...'99 OBDII.Looks pretty nice :waytogo:

What part of SoCal do you live in?

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
Thought I'd chime in...I have a 3/4t burb as well.Although it's a little older than yours with about 250,000 miles on it but I love it.I call it my off road & tow pig.Being a '95 it's the last year of TBI and has OK power,wish it had more.You have a burb I'd love to have...'99 OBDII.Looks pretty nice :waytogo:

What part of SoCal do you live in?

Nice looking truck grampa! Love the look of our years.

I'm just a bit south of you in the Valley: Woodland Hills.