Interior door panels.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
I need to replace the driver's door interior panel and the latch and exterior handle, along with the lock cylinder (should I replace the lock cylinders on each door if I do the driver's one).

My issue is the best place to buy the parts. My truck is the 96 interior.

Does anyone know a good place to buy the items above?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
I need to replace the driver's door interior panel and the latch and exterior handle, along with the lock cylinder (should I replace the lock cylinders on each door if I do the driver's one).

My issue is the best place to buy the parts. My truck is the 96 interior.

Does anyone know a good place to buy the items above?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Depends on if your looking for new parts or not. Personally, I'd check the local junkyard and see what they have. For the lock cylinder, I'd contact the dealer and see if I can order one so I don't have to re-key the whole car/keep two separate car keys with me.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is wrong with the lock cylinder? If just not working spray some penetrating oil in and work it. You can get a lock smith to repair it too. If you get a used one a locksmith can code it to your key.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got all of that from the j/y for my truck. I even grabbed the ignition from the same truck. po had 3 diff keys for this truck. now it has 1 key, the way its supposed to be.

I looked @ every truck in the yard first for matching keys & good handles, so I would take apart the least amount of doors. I ended up taking 3 doors apart to make the set that I needed. I didn't mind so much on taking the doors apart because I grabbed clean/unscratched door glass @ the same time. so I was killing multiple birds w/ 1 stone.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would go with new interior and exterior handles just because they are both prone to breaking on these trucks. No sense doing this job twice. You can buy them from your local parts shop. The only catch is that they might not stock all the colors for the interior. Amazon has the best price and you can compare colors a little better.
The interior handle is pretty easy. You just need to drill out one rivet. On reassembly either replace it with a pop rivet or a screw with a shallow head. The exterior handle is more time consuming.
Are you replacing the lock cylinders because they are stiff/won't turn? Just flush them out really well when you take out the handle. Also lube all the contact points for the operating rods.
Get yourself one of those cat's paw door panel tools and a pack of the plastic clips.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the oem exterior handles are metal while most aftermarket are plastic.

being that I'm from a colder climate, I would prefer not to have plastic handles on the outside of the vehicle. I see a lot of vehicles (about 2005 & older) with plastic handles that are broken. thinner plastic & cold don't mix. yes the metal ones break too, but take longer & you usually can still get in the vehicle.

just my $.02