Installing Offroad Designs shackle flip questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm strongly considering buying the shackle flip kit from offroad designs to get rid of my 4 inch blocks and try to tame the ride of my 3500. For anyone that has experience with these, what was the install like and how long did it take? I don't have an air chisel which I know they suggest but I do have a 4.5 inch grinder. Is it a one man job?

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is a long bed, does that make any difference?

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think just the 2 door Blazers and Tahoes have to have their gas tanks removed since they sit in the back between the frame.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will have to reroute your exhaust if its currently running in the stock location. The tailpipe section looks like it will be in the way of the new shackle

thedthomas

Reaction score
I have one on my swb. It shouldn't take a huge amount of time to do it, took me longer cause I took my spring packs apart to remove the add a leafs. I used a 4" grinder and ground the rivets flush to the stock bracket. Tried using a punch and a 2.5 pound hammer but that didn't work. I used a crowbar wedged between the frame and hanger, popped em off pretty easily. Then used the hammer directly on the rivets. Puttin the new ones on takes no time at all lol. I used a 5" USDR shackle from DIY4X along with their greasable bushing and bolt, and I do have the ORD 4" shackle flip. It rides really really good and flexes really well offroad too. I have my exhaust dumped but that really could be a problem unless you don't mind pipes hanging sorta low. I sand blasted my brackets and my new shackles and painted everything with rust oleum bedliner from walmart (rattle can). They look awesome IMO

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the reply. I'm pretty handy but I just have arthritis in my hands and neck so I always have to get an idea of the physical difficulty before I take on a project. Sounds like something I can do though. Is your swb a 1500?

thedthomas

Reaction score
Yea man 95 k1500. 6" BDS full drop in the front, ORD and DIY in the back. It's down to about 4.5-5" lift on 35s

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea man 95 k1500. 6" BDS full drop in the front, ORD and DIY in the back. It's down to about 4.5-5" lift on 35s

Do you have any pics of your shackle flip? Id like to see how low they hang. Thats my only concern with going this route. I dont want them to look funny hanging down so low

thedthomas

Reaction score
I'll try to figure out how to post a pic lol it's about 1.5" below the bedside but have got 5" shackles. The stock shackles hung about a half inch to an inch below