96/97 and 98/99 PCM differences or compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes if you do a 0411 swap on a 96-97 and use hptuners or efi live once done
I meant as far as accessing the ABS module bleeding procedure that is available for 98/99 trucks but not the 96/97 like in the Autel scanner.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
Watching that video you shared, it seems like about the same amount of work as a 411 swap to get a 98/99 into a 96/97.
I do not think any one puts or has put a 98-00 black box in a 96-97 or at least I have never read heard or seen a video about every one goes to the 0411 imho 98-00 black box in 96-97 is a lateral move at best

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my 97 van the 5th connector merely had a loop of wire about ~1' long that was taped into the harness. The only thing the 2 wires went to were the 5th connector itself. It was merely an external jumper. My brothers 96 S10 had numerous wires connected to the 5th connector. Swapping to the 98+ PCM would allow the truck to be tuned with HPTuners or EFI Live. It only requires minor repining, most of the connections are in the same.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 0411 probably makes sense for you in other terms right? You’ve got your new motor (can’t remember if it had any head or cam work) and that could open up some opportunities.

As far as the ABS goes, I have a feeling that it might not work. I do believe that the scanner communicates directly with the ABS EBCM for the functional test; the PCM is taken out of the equation.

This is an educated guess based on my observations. For the ‘95 (yes still TBI but still an EBC310 unit) when you connect your scanner you need to use the GM Multi-1 adapter instead of the standard GM OBD1 connector. The Multi-1 uses 2 male terminals to connect to pins A and H on the ALDL port. When you jump these pins with a paper clip the ABS light flashes for codes NOT the SEL light. I believe it is its own system.

I could be wrong because it’s ‘95 but they were setting those trucks up to be ready for Vortecs and OBD2.

EDIT: I was wrong. L31MaxExpress cleared it right up below.

I think a wiring diagram of the ABS system for a ‘96 and a ‘97 would maybe clarify some things.

Need to look into this.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 0411 probably makes sense for you in other terms right? You’ve got your new motor (can’t remember if it had any head or cam work) and that could open up some opportunities.

As far as the ABS goes, I have a feeling that it might not work. I do believe that the scanner communicates directly with the ABS EBCM for the functional test; the PCM is taken out of the equation.

This is an educated guess based on my observations. For the ‘95 (yes still TBI but still an EBC310 unit) when you connect your scanner you need to use the GM Multi-1 adapter instead of the standard GM OBD1 connector. The Multi-1 uses 2 male terminals to connect to pins A and H on the ALDL port. When you jump these pins with a paper clip the ABS light flashes for codes NOT the SEL light. I believe it is its own system.

I could be wrong because it’s ‘95 but they were setting those trucks up to be ready for Vortecs and OBD2.

I think a wiring diagram of the ABS system for a ‘96 and a ‘97 would maybe clarify some things.

Need to look into this.

My 97 Express and 99 Tahoe both read the ABS and SIR systems same as it did stock.