Installing a Remote Start, Alarm, or Keyless Entry?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itst9

Reaction score
Well I finally got my bulldog remote starter (RS1100) installed and so far so good. I was a little intimidated by all the wires dangling from the unit but after 5 minutes of reading I removed the ones i didn't need with a bobby pin to clean things up a bit, I used ~8 out of the 16 wires supplied. The only problem i had was getting the remote to connect to the unit, I knew i had things wired correctly b/c I could get the truck to start by jumping the purple wire to ground. Long story short after reading all of the instructions and googling for answers I broke down and called tech support. Surprisingly they called back within the hour and all i had to do was unhook the ignition #1 wire and touch it to a 12v source 5 times. Doing this resets the unit and I'm certain this is the proper way rather than cycling the ignition on and off 5 times within 4 seconds as the written instructions state (what a joke if you ask me). After resetting the unit I asked tech support why this wasn't in the written instructions they had no answer.
I must say the unit has good range ~400' tested so far. I ran the antenna up the inside of the dash. All wires were soldered in place and I purchased a wire stripper for the job. It took me a good afternoon to complete the job as i took out the drivers seat in order to lay on the floor.
Next up is the door locks but I'm going to wait till summer to complete this part. Plus I have an extra button on the remote to control anything such as roll up my windows, honk the horn,radio etc. So if anyone has any neat ideas for the extra button I'm open to suggestions.

itst9

Reaction score
Extra button...?

Two words....

TRAIN...HORN.
Good idea a train horn would definitely create some entertainment for me at work or when people pass by my truck with no one inside.

Ive been looking and see some other people on here have added horns. Maybe i will get one, they look a little on the pricy side though.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good idea a train horn would definitely create some entertainment for me at work or when people pass by my truck with no one inside.

Ive been looking and see some other people on here have added horns. Maybe i will get one, they look a little on the pricy side though.

My 85 had a train horn that the previous owner installed. To be honest it was TOO obnoxious. Except for the once in a while when you are dealing with a jackass on the road where you could pull up next to his window and give him a heart attack. Totatlly impractical for the warning/polite beeps. I suppose if the train horn was just an addition to your standard horn it would be ok. Mine was a replacement.

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would just like keyless entry in my '94 burb. Suggestions?

I would like some info on this too, I have a 97 Tahoe. Could you get the relay and sensor from a GMT400 with keyless, and a new remote than program it to work? Could it really be that simple?

97SilveradoHD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my 97 has factory keyless entry, however the range isn't very good, i'd say 20-25 feet. has anyone successfully extended the range on the factory set-up? up to 100 feet or so. also i'd like my park lights to flash and horn to honk when i lock/unlock like the NBS trucks. any way to do that?

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my 97 has factory keyless entry, however the range isn't very good, i'd say 20-25 feet. has anyone successfully extended the range on the factory set-up? up to 100 feet or so. also i'd like my park lights to flash and horn to honk when i lock/unlock like the NBS trucks. any way to do that?

Could be done if there is an available output from the oem keyless. I would imagine with some ingenuity (relays and diodes) it wouldn't be that tough to add light flash and/or horn honk. That said, any aftermarket keyless entry system will usually have light flash and/or horn honk, and will give you much better range as well.

I'm a 20+year 12V mobile Electronics Installer and have done or seen alot of cool things done with simple switches/relays/LEDs/Diodes/etc. I still do installs of Remote Starters in the winter months. I work a full time job and run a small side business, selling/installing remote starters.

I have used Clifford/Avital (before DEI owned them), Code Alarm, Ungo, Crimestopper, and now I use DEI products exclusively (I'm a Python and Avital dealer). By far my favorite products were the Clifford/Avital before DEI bought them. I still have a Clifford IntelliGuard 9000 in my 454SS (been in there about 15 years, and before that was an Avital). It still works flawless and has never even given me one bit of trouble. The Avital worked great as well, but I wanted more toys.

Installation of any of these devices is the most important aspect. If not installed properly, they will not perform properly.

97SilveradoHD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be done if there is an available output from the oem keyless. I would imagine with some ingenuity (relays and diodes) it wouldn't be that tough to add light flash and/or horn honk. That said, any aftermarket keyless entry system will usually have light flash and/or horn honk, and will give you much better range as well.

I'm a 20+year 12V mobile Electronics Installer and have done or seen alot of cool things done with simple switches/relays/LEDs/Diodes/etc. I still do installs of Remote Starters in the winter months. I work a full time job and run a small side business, selling/installing remote starters.

I have used Clifford/Avital (before DEI owned them), Code Alarm, Ungo, Crimestopper, and now I use DEI products exclusively (I'm a Python and Avital dealer). By far my favorite products were the Clifford/Avital before DEI bought them. I still have a Clifford IntelliGuard 9000 in my 454SS (been in there about 15 years, and before that was an Avital). It still works flawless and has never even given me one bit of trouble. The Avital worked great as well, but I wanted more toys.

Installation of any of these devices is the most important aspect. If not installed properly, they will not perform properly.

do you have a part number of a solid keyless/remote start system that won't break the bank?

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
do you have a part number of a solid keyless/remote start system that won't break the bank?

Python 413/Avital 4103 is a great entry level unit. Both units are the same with minor cosmetic differences on the remote.

Crimestopper RS4 is a great piece but last year's G3 remote wasn't the greatest. G2 remotes were the best. They are now at G5, but I don't have any experience with the G4 due to my recent switch to DEI products.

Bulldog products are junk. Audiovox Prestige is junk too.

Just my .02

Chevytruck98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My Truck came with a astro start unit installed. Are these any good. I know that its fairly old though.