[INFO] Bulb numbers for 88-94 LED conversions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
I've never heard of this. How could it be special? I'm kinda lost on that honestly.

Me too, I was VERY skeptical on the whole thing, figured i might as well not take the risk of ordering LEDs for the tails.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I just realized i could have simply looked at the bulbs this whole time. Been the same ones in there since i got the truck, and I've pulled the circuit boards multiple times.

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I got one a long time ago when I had my bumper off. I put the light right on the plate and said that it couldn't be like that it had to shine on it! Lol

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Going over this in my head, the dual filament bulb (either 1157 or 3157) have two positive contacts and 1 negative. I don't see where there would be anything else with them.

Ground is ground

Parking light (low filament) is tied with the upper bulb directly to the parking lights 12v+

Brake light/signal runs through the combo switch at the dash to get it's 12V+

I'm willing to bet if people are blowing fuses, something else is wrong.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Yeah I got one a long time ago when I had my bumper off. I put the light right on the plate and said that it couldn't be like that it had to shine on it! Lol

Haha yeah that's why i kept the stock ones (not the ones that mount above the plate and shine light EVERYWHERE) and went with white to avoid problems with law enforcement. One of my favorite mods so far:

You must be registered for see images

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Going over this in my head, the dual filament bulb (either 1157 or 3157) have two positive contacts and 1 negative. I don't see where there would be anything else with them.

Ground is ground

Parking light (low filament) is tied with the upper bulb directly to the parking lights 12v+

Brake light/signal runs through the combo switch at the dash to get it's 12V+

I'm willing to bet if people are blowing fuses, something else is wrong.

I agree. I think the CK wiring has both high and low on one side of the base, and one ground pin on the other. And the regular 3157's have high+ground on one side, and low+ground on the other.

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn I do like that! I only have one on the right side and the other side is the hook up. I've always like the bar tag light, every time I see it it looks good! Are they illegal?

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Damn I do like that! I only have one on the right side and the other side is the hook up. I've always like the bar tag light, every time I see it it looks good! Are they illegal?

You mean the little white LED strips that sit right above the plate? I don't know if they are illegal but i bet Law enforcement doesn't like them since they shine pretty much 360* and makes it hard to read the plate. Best bet is to do what i did and replace the stock bulbs instead of adding an annoyingly bright tag light bar.

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I'll do! I'm gonna have to do a bright LED since I only have one bulb. Do you have any links where to get them?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Ok after reading eveything and thinking about it, it's a polarity issue. Gm runs the voltage through the filaments in the opposite direction as the LEDs require, since LEDs are unidirectional, they simply don't work backwards.

Shouldn't blow a fuse, but isn't ideal.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I'll do! I'm gonna have to do a bright LED since I only have one bulb. Do you have any links where to get them?

Couldn't link you if i tried. My internet's a POS. Check on SuperbrightLEDs.com for some badass 194's. Typically the ones with more LEDs, or the ones that say "HP" (high power) will be the brightest. Autolumination also has LEDs, as well has eBay. Just depends what you feel like paying. In terms of quality, SBL has always blown the competition away.