[INFO] Bulb numbers for 88-94 LED conversions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
When i was doing research for bulb numbers and such for my LED conversion, I found TONS of info for the 95-98 interior/trucks, but no consistent/useful info for the 88-94's like mine. Here is what I've gathered (and successfully tested) so far.

For future reference, pay attention to the number at the end of the four-digit bulb numbers. "6" means single intensity (always in "high" mode, like the under-dash lights), and "7" means dual (high AND low, such as turn signals)

Also, the ones that start with a "1" (such as 1156/1157) are CIRCULAR base bulbs, and the ones that start with a "3" (3156/3157) are the FLAT-BASE bulbs.

Front parking lights/Turn-signals: 1157
You must be registered for see images

Front corner lights (reflectors): 194

Under-hood lights: 1156
You must be registered for see images attach

Two bulbs under dash, pointing down towards floorboard: 1156

Gauges: 194 (SEVEN of them, unlike the SIX for the 95-98 trucks) plus the twist-locks for them, since the stock bulbs are soldered into the twist-locks (can be found on SuperbrightLEDs.com for cheap)

Dome light: 578 Festoon Style bulb

Map lights: These are the festoon style with the little hooks on either end, don't have the bulb number since i didn't replace mine.

STOCK GM TAIL LIGHTS: For the 88-89 trucks, they are 1157 for the top two bulbs, changed in '90 to the 3157 and 3156 for reverse (thanks 88GMCTruck for that info!) EDIT: Paragraph removed until i can do some hands-on testing on the circuit boards, should be re-written within a day or two!
Let's continue...

Reverse: You can use either a 3157 or 3157 in this spot, doesn't make a difference (I am running 3157's and they work great), BUT, be aware of the limited space behind the reverse lens, don't order a (for example) 82-SMD bulb, it is very long and WILL NOT fit.

License plate lights: I have been told by multiple people that these should be 194's, but i pulled mine apart and found 1156-base bulbs. CHECK BEFORE YOU ORDER. Here is what my plate lights look like (kinda hard to see, but looks like the wires were cut then re-spliced together, therefore i have reason to believe that my plate lights are NOT OEM)

But as i mentioned before, TAKE THEM APART and check for yourself, just to be safe!

Oh, and just a little bonus fact, if you plan on installing an LED tailgate bar, the proper size is 60" bar for the fleetside (straight-bed) trucks, and 49" for the stepsides.

As I mentioned before, it is possible that your bulb numbers DO NOT match up with mine (maybe your truck's previous owner spliced in a different socket for a certain bulb for convenience) so i urge you all to DOUBLE-CHECK before you order bulbs. I am not responsible if you order the wrong bulbs because you didn't check before you order.

Last edited:

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
OEM taillight bulbs for 88-89 are 1157 for the two upper and 1156 for the reverse. In 90 they changed to 3157 for both uppers and 3156 for reverse. They aren't wired any way that should pop a fuse.

OEM licence plate lights on all GMT400 trucks are 194 bulbs.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
OEM taillight bulbs for 88-89 are 1157 for the two upper and 1156 for the reverse. In 90 they changed to 3157 for both uppers and 3156 for reverse. They aren't wired any way that should pop a fuse.

OEM licence plate lights on all GMT400 trucks are 194 bulbs.

Thanks for the info, was NOT aware of the change in bulbs. Will add that. Gonna have to take a test light to my circuit boards to answer a few personal questions.

Also, my license plate lights are 1156, which is why i made it a point for everyone to check themselves, because their trucks could have been modified like mine was (my rear-end harness is a MESS).

Last edited:

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OEM licence plate lights on all GMT400 trucks are 194 bulbs.[/QUOTE said:
I was wanting to change mine. Do they have different colors or brightness or is it just one type?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Thanks for the info, was NOT aware of the change in bulbs. Will add that. Gonna have to take a test light to my circuit boards to answer a few personal questions.

Also, my license plate lights are 1156, which is why i made it a point for everyone to check themselves, because their trucks could have been modified like mine was (my rear-end harness is a MESS).

Stock in both boards the low filiment (parking lights) is powered top and bottom, the high filiment is powered on the lower bulb for brake/signal only.

My truck is 1156 as well because I put aftermarket lights in the bumper. I think it would be better to list the stock items and leave it with anything other than needs verification. I can see in your pictures your rear bumper is not a OEM bumper thus explaining the differing lights.

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay I might go with a blue or something. Mine is kinda dull.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Stock in both boards the low filiment (parking lights) is powered top and bottom, the high filiment is powered on the lower bulb for brake/signal only.

I knew that, but i heard from a lot of different sources that the lower red lens is the special CK wiring, which is why I'm going to take a test light to it tomorrow or sunday to settle it once and for all so there is no more confusion for n00bs like myself.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
I was wanting to change mine. Do they have different colors or brightness or is it just one type?

If you're converting to LEDs you can pretty much choose whatever color, and brightness depends on what type of 194 you order. BUT, i would check your state's laws on lighting for the plates. Wouldn't want you getting a big fat ticket for colored plate lights.