In or Under the Bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jfever71

94grounddweller
Reaction score
I hope this becomes a sticky thread.

Thought I'd start a thread about were to mount your air system. Inside the bed or under the bed?

When I bought my truck it had the manual SMC valves and tank under the bed. (Still does for now). But I'm putting a hole new accuair system on my truck, and I'm putting it all in the bed. I kind of know why some people like putting it under the bed, like it's out of the way, keeps the bed clean, and no one can mess with it. And I know that all the components are designed to go under the body and they can handle the weather, but I think that you should you to keep out as much out of the elements as you can.

So that's why I'm putting it all in the bed. As for the security resone I don't plan on leaving it in bad areas a lot. And if I do, I am making a panel to cover the setup. And for the idea of keeping the bed clean our clear, I don't plan on hauling anything in this truck, I have a 2001 Silverado if I need haul something.

So please post your opinion and also your pictures of your setups. I will as soon I get mine done.

Here's my old and current setup.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

jmig

Can't leave it stock
Reaction score
My original plan was to put everything in the bed as well, but as I moved forward with my build I decided I didn't want to drill a whole bunch of holes for the wiring and air line so I am putting everything underneath. Working on getting some estimates from some welding shops to cut my tank down so it will fit between the frame rails. I have the manifold and ECM mounted in the back where I will be fabricating some type of panel to access everything.

jmig

Can't leave it stock
Reaction score

Reaction score
Personally I vote under the bed. Majority of bagged trucks don't have a fancy setup so naturally it's just buried under the bed. But if you want to show it off, I say do some sort of access that allows you to show it off when you want. The solenoid on a valve if left exposed to rain (in bed) will rust (retaining clip) and corrode (plug prongs).. Also Viair compressors have a very cheap chrome plating that will crack/ fade when left exposed. Also any powder coated parts like four links/ watts links/ air tanks..etc. Will fade/ dull quickly exposed. Any polished aluminum will tarnish quickly also. If you have a bed cover of some sort, or a carport or something to park in then it would probably help a lot if mounting stuff exposed.. only reason I vote under bed is my beds been off for six months, and everything mentioned above has happened already. Also just an opinion/ thought.. but an accuair manifold is small, expensive and to easy and quick to steal. There's a ton more people who WANT than there are that have. If it's a garaged trailer queen.. no worries, but if your blood, sweat and tears, hard earned money poured into your daily driver.. keep in mind, pretty draws attention. May not be the attention you want.... But, to each there own, just my thoughts :)

jfever71

94grounddweller
Reaction score
Personally I vote under the bed. Majority of bagged trucks don't have a fancy setup so naturally it's just buried under the bed. But if you want to show it off, I say do some sort of access that allows you to show it off when you want. The solenoid on a valve if left exposed to rain (in bed) will rust (retaining clip) and corrode (plug prongs).. Also Viair compressors have a very cheap chrome plating that will crack/ fade when left exposed. Also any powder coated parts like four links/ watts links/ air tanks..etc. Will fade/ dull quickly exposed. Any polished aluminum will tarnish quickly also. If you have a bed cover of some sort, or a carport or something to park in then it would probably help a lot if mounting stuff exposed.. only reason I vote under bed is my beds been off for six months, and everything mentioned above has happened already. Also just an opinion/ thought.. but an accuair manifold is small, expensive and to easy and quick to steal. There's a ton more people who WANT than there are that have. If it's a garaged trailer queen.. no worries, but if your blood, sweat and tears, hard earned money poured into your daily driver.. keep in mind, pretty draws attention. May not be the attention you want.... But, to each there own, just my thoughts :)

Cool, this is what I want nightmare, opinions. Yea and for me i mainly park my truck in a garage and park it at my fenced in yard at work. As for the being exposed, other then the rain wile parked you will get a lot more rain and dirt under the truck then in the bed. And so for the theft thats why I'm going to make a panel to cover the set up when I go some where I don't trust leaving it. And also this is my daily driver but I don't drive it when it rains. Thank fully I have a 01 Silverado drive when it rains.

But this is what I want a sticky discussion on this. And nightmare post some pictures of your setup on here.

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
as bill mentioned, not all of us have elaborate back-halves or some wicked bridgework. Since air ride is illegal in the communist state of virginia, i wanted to conceal all of my air management.

Reaction score
Mine sits above the axle height, when the bed is on it stays pretty dry.. gets very dusty/ dirty tho. Kinda like the motor under the hood does. Guess there's pros and cons to both ways. Seen a few people make setups to show off things like accuair manifolds and tanks, while hiding valves and lines.. looks sick when the do it with stainless lines. Guess it's all in what a person wants and what they use the vehical for.. I like em all :) Especially when people put their own spin on it and come up with something that's different. :)

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
when i take the bed back off to repaint the primered areas, im gonna move the water traps on the front tank.. as they are now, i have to lay down and reach under the truck to drain the traps. but it's not a biggie.. it would be in the middle of winter if i wanted to drive it on a nice sunny yet cold day.