Improved handling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BCChevyZ71

Reaction score
I've a 1998 K1500 Z71 looking to make it handle better...so far I've dropped it 3" front using belltech drop keys, and 5" rear using drop hangers and 3" drop shackles. I did the street performance belltech shocks, rear shock extensions, rear hellwig swaybar, poly front swaybar bushings, rough country steering stabilizer, and the plan is to do a cunningham steering shaft. I debated swapping out the hollow front sway bar for solid both are 30mm sway bars is there a big advantage? I'm just curious if there is anything outside of blowing it all apart and doing every bushing in poly or rebuilding the front end which I've already done.

Last edited:

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've a 1998 K1500 Z71 looking to make it handle better...so far I've dropped it 3" front using belltech drop keys, and 5" rear using drop hangers and 3" drop shackles. I did the street performance belltech shocks, rear shock extensions, rear hellwig swaybar, poly front swaybar bushings, rough country steering stabilizer, and the plan is to do a cunningham steering shaft. I debated swapping out the hollow front sway bar for solid both are 30mm sway bars is there a big advantage? I'm just curious if there is anything outside of blowing it all apart and doing every bushing in poly or rebuilding the front end which I've already done.
If you are still running the wheel/tire combo in your picture, stepping up in wheel diameter with lower profile tires would probably help. Should feel less squishy for sure while turning.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are still running the wheel/tire combo in your picture, stepping up in wheel diameter with lower profile tires would probably help. Should feel less squishy for sure while turning.
That’s what I was thinking, and a bigger sway bar is useless if you don’t have the grip to match it.

BCChevyZ71

Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking, and a bigger sway bar is useless if you don’t have the grip to match it.
I considered that, but for now until a few years down the road. I'm stuck with these tires and wheels, because I just bought the tires. I have to at least wear the **** off the tires before getting rid of them haha

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I considered that, but for now until a few years down the road. I'm stuck with these tires and wheels, because I just bought the tires. I have to at least wear the **** off the tires before getting rid of them haha
Haha I feel that, I hate my rear tires but they only have like 5k on them so I don’t wanna buy new ones yet.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suggest a Camaro IRS swap and custom cantilever front suspension :superhack:

No but really, what kind of “better” are you after? :p

Poly bushings will make a difference, can even put them in the rear springs. You’re gonna get some wallowing with fat tires so that will improve later when you replace them with a bigger wheel and lower profile sidewall.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like it or not, tires are the single biggest improvement you can make in handling. Piss away all the money you want on other crap, but tires are it.
Absolutely, tires are just uncontrolled springs. You use shocks to control the springs but nothing is controlling the tires. You use a watts linkage or panhard rod to control the lateral movement of the diff but nothing stops the tires rolling sideways.

BCChevyZ71

Reaction score
With where I live the plan is to maybe autocross the truck a little if I can, and twisty mountain roads. I agree the tires aren't ideal but it's the look I wanted so I just need to deal with that. Ideally I'm looking to stiffen the front a bit I added a rear swaybar which made the rear end really tight. It made the truck feel really darty and the front end felt like it would dive. I replaced the poly swaybar links up front and added rear shock relocation brackets which seemed to help. The plan is to add a solid front swaybar next and hopefully alleviate the front end diving a little bit. I know I'm not going to overcome the stiff rear as I've 5 leaf packs, and I want to maintain the load capacity. The goal is simply to continue building off what I have and hopefully make it better bit by bit if possible.