Ignition Switch Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdub

Reaction score
I have a 96 K2500 with 260k miles. The fuel pump is starting to go I believe. Sometimes when hot, after a short drive, the truck wont start. If I turn the key to the on position for about 2 seconds, then do it a few more times the pump seems to prime and the truck starts right up. So I ordered a new Delphi pump assembly with fuel level. It should be here Wednesday.

Couldn't get the truck to start Saturday. I noticed that when I would put the key to the on position, no dash lights, fuel and ammeter gauges were as if the key was not in the ignition. So I am thinking Ignition switch. I did replace the ignition lock cylinder, mostly because the key could be taken out while in Run position, I was on a dirt road and the key bounced out (many keys on my key ring). Truck stays running, but the key can easily fall out, so I replaced it. (I don't think the lock cylinder is related to my issues)
So after I turned the key on and off several times while jiggling, the dash lights came, so I turned the key to the start position and it started right up.

Could I go get an ignition switch from the boneyard from say a 98, or 99 and put it in. I realize that is not ideal, but with the truck having 260k miles, I don't want to put a lot of money into it. New switch is about $100. I'm concerned that a used one from a newer truck has some pass key lock, or something so I don't want to have to go to the dealer for electronic coding (If applicable)

Front fenders are rusted, interior door trim falling off, hinge pin is so worn out, a new bushing won't fix it and I have to lift the door to get it to close, etc, etc. Just trying to get to 300K miles (for bragging rights) before I get a newer truck.

Thanks
Chris

cdub

Reaction score
Ok, so I just saw an ignition switch from A1Auto for about $42. Clicked on site sponsors to check.

Question is, it's not Delphi/AC Delco. Would this be okay? I know for many parts, like fuel pump, it's Strongly recommended to run Delphi/Delco.

Tks
Chris

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, whatever you buy, it's only gotta last 40,000 miles. Did the switch ($2) get any good reviews?

I'm thinking the boneyard may be the best bet, provided you can find one in a truck with a battery, so you can check it out.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used an aftermarket ignition switch for awhile. They are garbage. The contacts are cheap and wear out quickly. Go get one from a junkyard truck. 95 and up should work. Check eBay too, there are probably some for sale there as well.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
When I replaced mine in my 97 I used a BWD switch. it was starting to fail again when I sold the truck. Replacement parts just aren't worth a crap anymore. You really have to be careful with what you buy at the parts stores.

Any switch from a 95-00 GMT400 should work. Its kinda a pain in the rear to do, you have to rip quite a bit of the dash apart to do it. Just make sure not to damage any of the connectors/wiring creating further headache down the road. You'll need a pick to unlock and slide out the key cylinder.

cdub

Reaction score
Ironhead, no reviews I could find, lifetime warranty through A1 Auto. But would suck to have to use that warranty. PTIA to get to this thing,

Thanks for the replies, I'll go to the boneyard and get one from later model GMT400.

On a side note,
Since I replaced the ignition cylinder lock, I now have 2 keyso_O. Are the door locks easily rekeyed? Or should I order a set and try to specify the key code that I got with my ignition lock? I have rekeyed a Chrysler (jeep) but those are easy. Looks like with GM, I will have to bend the chrome tabs out to get into it.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The dealer can re-key your ignition cylinder. You'll need a cylinder and key (any will do), your VIN, and proof of ownership. They can also key up door lock cylinders too so that the brand new key will work in all of the locks. There is a retaining clip and pawl on the door lock cylinder you may need as well, especially if salting the roads is common in your area.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The door lock cylinders are retained in the exterior door handle, which is a fairly easy remove, once you have the inside door panel off. Lots of YouTube videos of this are out there. Once you have the handle loose (2 bolts), the cylinder just falls out.

cdub

Reaction score
Thanks,
yea getting the door lock cylinders out is pretty easy, just not sure about the pins (whatever they're called) inside the lock and where to purchase the pins/tumblers.

LOUDRNU

Reaction score