I need a lil more umph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
350 tbi rt now just 3 in exhuast but i need more just dont wanna sink a lot in this motor. If I swap cam am I gonna be stuck running 93 octane? I have a tbi spacer so I was thinking that headers cam and custom chip from tbi chips. i dont wanna get crazy and kill my gas milage with this motor and I wanna go 5.3 or 6.0 later. What cheap mods that work dont really wanna get over 600

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With a 600 budget, I'd do vortec heads, cam, tune. That should hold your mileage, and you can get an 87 tune and still pull nice hp numbers.

This was the plan I was tettering on the fence about with my 89. Also you could always use that engine on an OOBS later down the road :waytogo:

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep in mind, vortec heads will require a new intake manifold. And if you need to keep egr for emissions, then you are extremely limited.
But that would be a great setup.

Android/Tapatalk

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a nice gain from my ultimate tbi mods edlebrock intake, comp cam (xe249 I belive) and tcichips.com chip. If I was to do it over I wish I had gone with a more aggresive cam but none the less it did make a noticeable difference over stock. Never lost any mpg, if anything gained a little as truck pulls itself better now.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would do ultimate tbi mod's, tbi chip's chip, and header's and call it good until the ls swap.

nate3531

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep in mind, vortec heads will require a new intake manifold. And if you need to keep egr for emissions, then you are extremely limited.
But that would be a great setup.

Android/Tapatalk

Actually I did forget about that, that will add about $200 to the price but would be worth it.

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
i've never seen where a cam makes it necessary to run 93octaine. usually a change in compression ratio will be the only thing to cause that. i think with what you're asking, it'd be useless to really do a major cam upgrade and not just tear the motor down. i'd stick with some bolt on stuff and if all else fails. u can throw a 100 shot of nitro on it for well under $600... hell, a 50 shot would make that thing snappier.