I’m a DA…what maintenance have you screwed up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A LONG time ago in a town not too far away i have to admit.
I was in my early 20s working on a 1973? Mercury Capri with a V6. For some reason i remember it being a German V6,
I had put new rods and main bearings in it from Underneath.
Finally had the oil pan on and engine bolted back up. Crawled out from under it and sitting on the bench was the oil pump.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Me ten minutes ago, while mowing: "Why is the mower mowing so crappy?"
Me five minutes ago, after shutting the mower down: "How did I install the middle blade upside down?"

I sharpened the blade on my push mower today. I didn't want to install it upside down, so I matched the rust/paint patterns. If it's upside down, it was upside down before.

It did cut a little better, but I noticed it didn't have steady RPM. I rebuilt the carb two years ago, but I think I left the fuel valve open over the winter, so I'm guessing gas was drying in the bowl.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doing an oil pan gasket on a daggum f150, dropped the engine hoist way to fast with the pan off. Crank hit the cross member. 2 weeks later, customer called me at 10:30pm from the side of the highway saying the truck made a bunch of noise then stopped.

Yep, the #3 piston could be seen from the wheel well…

I hate fords. No reason to have to pull an engine out to replace an oil pan gasket.

Another ford I forgot the daggum shield spacer thing that goes between the flexplate and the block so that engine had to come right back out, then immediately after that it had to get pulled out again because I didn’t get the torque converter fully seated. Must’ve imagined that 3rd clunk and didn’t think to verify that the mounting bolts didn’t protrude out past the bellhousing. That was a long dang day.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Replaced plugs,wires,cap and rotor on an Olds. 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 right? Fired it up and spit,pop fire out the carb,,,WTF? Forgot the Olds dist. turns CCW
Yup, so does a Pontiac V8. My cousin found that out when he was tuning up Grandma's '68 Tempest 350, and it barely ran after he did the job. To be fair, he had only worked on Chevys up to that point, and he was a teenager.....