Hurst Shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
First off I have a 1996 Chevy k1500 it has the 5.7 vortec and the NV3500 manual trans. The PO replaced the factory shifter with a Hurst shifter. There has always been a lot of play in the thing mostly left in right even when in gear it just feels loose. Here is a picture of it with the boot off.
You must be registered for see images attach

I didn't take the next boot off since I had no other zip tie to tie it back with. I will update when I look under there.

Does anyone have any experience with tightening loose shifters? IE. Removing the play.? Also has anyone seen this shifter before? I cannot find the shifter on any website anywhere. Anybody know where to find info on it? Any help appreciated thanks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The shifter has been discontinued. It is a good shifter. I bet you find something obvious. The factory shifter was total crap.

Hydengr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same shifter in the same truck. Believe me, the PO did you a favor. As skylark stated, the OEM was a real POS.

These shifters came with several springs and I believe, some bushings. I find it hard to believe that swapping out the springs will tighten up the side to side movement while in gear. Nuetral, maybe, but while in gear, doubtful (IMO).

Let me see if I still have the original documentation that came with the shifter. I'll look into it tonight when I get home.

Hydengr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the installatin instructions I recieved when I ordered my shifter (April 2003). It includes instructions for "Optional Adjustment of Shifter Stick Tension." Let me know if you cannot access the attached and I'll try again...

Good Luck

Attachments

• Hurst Comp Plus.pdf
    99.5 KB · Views: 16

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Update. I took the boot back off and removed the inner boot and the scrww was loose. Obviously the PO liked it sloppy. I tightened it up and my god that shifter is the holy grail of all shifters. If you want to buy one for your truck. Go to core shifters on the internet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk