How to: 95-98 OBS and 99-02 NBS Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Bumping an old thread...
So the S-10 Blazer clock spring I used was broken (I'm an idiot and installed it incorrectly).
I finally got around to ordering the 26087300 Denali SIR clock spring to replace it.
Got everything completely finished, all I have to do is snap on the airbag... Until I ran into this.

The old plug that worked with my airbag is on the left... The new one is on the right.
I'm thinking of just cutting the plug off of the old harness and swapping them out with some electrical connectors. Or do you guys think this is a horrible idea?? Just not sure if there are resistance values in the harness that it will harm if I do this...

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trim the actual connector. Saves introducing resistance into the system.

Whilst we are discussing this , I spent 3 days in the south acros 6 different yards looking for these switches and hardware.

What exact models are these in?

Can I mod the existing wheel base to accept the switches or is the wheel itself different?

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
I ended up popping the plugs apart and just swapping the pins from one to another. Worked out good.

They came in 99/2000 Denali/Escalades but the more common place to look is in S-10 Blazers (mostly 2 doors from what I've seen, but was also an option in the Envoy and Diamond edition Jimmy).

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I check all the Blazers and Jimmys I see at the yard when I go, but have never seen one with steering wheel controls.

Glad you got it squared away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I've never seen a black plug. The denali clockspring I installing in my 02 was yellow just like the others I have. Good to know the pins are removable.

As far as vehicles that have these.....

01-02 Denali
02 Escalade & EXT
98-05 S-Series SUVs (Blazer, Jimmy, Bravada, Envoy). I've seen them usually in leather equipped models, in 2 and 4 door variants.

Note the Denali/Escalade used black switches where the S-Series used grey.

alameda81

Reaction score
I've never seen a black plug. The denali clockspring I installing in my 02 was yellow just like the others I have. Good to know the pins are removable.

As far as vehicles that have these.....

01-02 Denali
02 Escalade & EXT
98-05 S-Series SUVs (Blazer, Jimmy, Bravada, Envoy). I've seen them usually in leather equipped models, in 2 and 4 door variants.

Note the Denali/Escalade used black switches where the S-Series used grey.

This is an awesome write up. I have a 99 obs 2 door Tahoe. What would I need to get to make this happen. Part numbers would be nice if you guys have them. I have tan interior.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is an awesome write up. I have a 99 obs 2 door Tahoe. What would I need to get to make this happen. Part numbers would be nice if you guys have them. I have tan interior.
Part numbers are in post 39 and 40.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

alameda81

Reaction score
for my application it doesn't seem right. someone posted that they used parts out of 99 2 door like what I got. would would just need the buttons?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Any of the part numbers in this thread will work for the clockspring. You can add buttons to your current steering wheel but you'll need the trim behind the airbag for them too.

There is no direct swap for our trucks, we are adding something we didn't have. TBH the best bet is to find a setup on ebay or the junkyard then it's the right color and complete.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake rogers