How to: 95-98 OBS and 99-02 NBS Steering Wheel Audio Control Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skobuffs

Reaction score
So I got an entire steering shaft with the steering wheel, wiring, clockspring and audio controls out of a two door blazer for $30. Even have the ignition and key. The steering wheel itself is in bad shape, so I figure if I do this I might was well try to find one in good shape and transfer the controls on to, since I've got a 97 with the old style wheel.

Idk when exactly Im going to do this, Im a college kid without a place to really work on it, and I think I'd be best off with somebody to help me a little. I figure while I'm at it I might as well add the PAC adapter to my radio. I wish I could get the newer style radio with the CD player built in, and replace my slave unit with the storage pocket, but it seems I need it anyways. Still might as well pull a radio off a junker, almost all the lights on mine are out....

If anybody else wants it I'll give you what you want from it for $30 plus shipping

Last edited:

Ryan M

Reaction score
[QUOTE="88GMCtruck,

i ended up doing this and my prog button is the preset button and the scan seems to change my band am/fm? And volume doesnt seem to work at all. What could be happening? I did everything correct and double checked it...

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
[QUOTE="88GMCtruck,

i ended up doing this and my prog button is the preset button and the scan seems to change my band am/fm? And volume doesnt seem to work at all. What could be happening? I did everything correct and double checked it...
The buttons all run through the same wire, and use various ohm signals to tell the stereo what to do. There are more things that can be controlled than just what those buttons do. If something inside the buttons is shorting out you could easily have this behavior, I have had it happen when I re-soldered LEDs into mine and one was touching another contact.

I would unplug one side and test, then the other. Narrow down which switch it might be.

Bear 77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so i could use the same column and change the upper shaft... is it really that simple or am i looking at fabbing up a custom shaft and what not

Which is a huge pain to do. IIRC I only managed to get out one of the four screws out that's needed to split the column and change the shafts.

Sorry I know this is an old thread but would like to know that if it is possible to use an 03+ column and don't have to drive myself crazy trying to find an 02 wheel? Came across this while lurking thru site and really want to do this on my OBS 99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Sorry I know this is an old thread but would like to know that if it is possible to use an 03+ column and don't have to drive myself crazy trying to find an 02 wheel? Came across this while lurking thru site and really want to do this on my OBS 99

There is a thread somewhere, you have to use the correct column that fits our trucks but you can swap to a 03+ wheel if you completely disassemble the column and swap the upper steering shaft with the one from an 03+ truck.

Bear 77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. And just to be sure with what I'm thinking, that would be the part where the steering wheel itself attaches up to the tilt portion or from the fire wall?

Jdge439

Reaction score
I have a rather Silly Question. This is wonderful for Modifying your Original. What if you just wanted to mount up a New steering Wheel Off a newer Model.
I honestly dont know what all is involved in steering wheel Replacement, but based on how often I see Aftermarket steering wheels, If it fits it sits?

I have 2 1995 350 TBI Trucks, Yukon and Silverado. Wont buy newer...

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
I have a rather Silly Question. This is wonderful for Modifying your Original. What if you just wanted to mount up a New steering Wheel Off a newer Model.
I honestly dont know what all is involved in steering wheel Replacement, but based on how often I see Aftermarket steering wheels, If it fits it sits?

I have 2 1995 350 TBI Trucks, Yukon and Silverado. Wont buy newer...
Read my post 3 above this...things changed in 03. Beyond that i have no idea.

jimdaug

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to do this as I have pretty chewed up steering wheel leather and my hazard switch seems to not be working correctly so I only want to tear the column apart once.

I'm having a major problem finding the s-series clock spring though. All the online gm parts sites say 26087312 is discontinued.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wadectist2002