1995 suburban steering wheel removal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d like to replace the steering wheel in my suburban. Reading on here and watching YouTube there is a spring type to move to remove the airbag. But mine has four holes with what appears to be pins when looking in from the back side. None of these will budge when trying to pry them outward to release the air bag. Is this a different type and if so how do I remove it? If not then I’ll keep trying to pry them outward.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You’re on the right track, pop one side out and stick something between the airbag and wheel and work on the other side. It’s a pain.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here’s a video that shows how it connects, maybe it’ll help…

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This came up on the forum relatively recently. The consensus was - just keep trying. I had the same difficulty and it really is a case of perseverance pays off. No force as such required (you shouldn't be inflicting damage) just the knack of connecting with the springs. Try different tools. You will get there!

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could also download the OE service manual. Your fully aware of the airbag potential right? Battery disconnected?

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I watched those YouTube tutorials before I got started. I apparently mine has a different design. There is a small dentent ball on each post that has to be depressed before it will release. I had to push each ball in and push the whole pin up at the same time while holding my tongue just right the get them to release.I went
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
to pick a part today for some other stuff and was able to release two there with the spring method very easily. I will post a pic of what I have

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could also download the OE service manual. You’re fully aware of the airbag potential right? Battery disconnected?
Yes I have the GM service manual on a CD. This section was very vague too. I did the air bag disable procedure in the manual before I got started.