How much bass is too much bass?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I would try a CD in the deck or even the radio... it may be that there is an impedance mismatch from your ipod adapter to the input and that is causing the low bass issues, or there could be a roll off in the adapter.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put everything back together and went for a drive listening to a CD. The bass seemed like it was still hitting a little weaker but cleaner than factory. It was stronger with the CD than with the ipod. I turned the bass knob on the head unit up some and it got very distorted very quickly. I used to listen to it around the 1 o'clock position with the stock speakers, but that was way too much distortion for the Alpines. They sound best with everything centered, which is good I guess.

My ipod interface is the PAC AAI GM9.
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=99&CategoryID=24

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
When you were testing your Ipod, did you have it hooked up to a charger?

You must be registered for see images attach

It shouldn't make a difference, since you the Ipod is getting ~5v rather than directly powered from the vehicle power supply.

Various models of Ipods and other media players can have wildly different frequency responses, even though it sounds 'ok' through headphones.

http://blog.faberacoustical.com/2010/ios/iphone/ipod-touch-3g-headset-io-frequency-response/

Edit: above link is showing the mic input frequency response, but I will keep looking for the data on the output voltage and frequency response.

Last edited:

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
An engineer friend of mine also did his own tests when he was tasked with developing a series of in-ear headphones for a company that had never produced them before, I will see if I can dig up those tests for you.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Another thing to watch for is that the adapter plug is clean, and inserted all the way into the player, if it is not, it can result in some pretty weird sound.

Reaction score
I really recommend an aftermarket cd player. They will sound much better as well as be much easier to plug your ipod into.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you were testing your Ipod, did you have it hooked up to a charger?

You must be registered for see images attach

It shouldn't make a difference, since you the Ipod is getting ~5v rather than directly powered from the vehicle power supply.

Various models of Ipods and other media players can have wildly different frequency responses, even though it sounds 'ok' through headphones.

http://blog.faberacoustical.com/2010/ios/iphone/ipod-touch-3g-headset-io-frequency-response/

Edit: above link is showing the mic input frequency response, but I will keep looking for the data on the output voltage and frequency response.

I've had it both on and off the charger. I wasn't keeping track though, so I couldn't really give you more detail than that. I didn't have it on the charger at any point today though. It may just be the power of suggestion, but now that I think back it does sound better (cleaner but not any louder) without the charger. It also sounds better with the engine off and just sitting in the driveway than out on the road, but that's probably due to the lack competing road noise more than anything else.

Just earlier today I was sitting in my truck in a parking lot waiting to meet someone. I was listening to the ipod with the engine off and the key turned back in the "acc" position and it sounded fine. I was listening to Everlast and it was playing the full range without much noticeable distortion. It's rap music but it's bluesy with a lot of acoustic guitar, the guy's got a gravely voice.

Here's a few songs of his, for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8YV18njbSg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSRHi79XdsM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPoEA43cqKc

That article on Ipod frequency response is really something too. I've got an Ipod Classic, circa 2007 or so. I wonder what the output looks like.

When I get the chance I'll pull the radio and re-check all the plugs and make sure everything's clean. Also, while I have your ear, what do you think about speaker cups/baffles? I think it would distort it since that's not how the speaker was designed to run but I'm looking for something to protect it from any water that gets in the door. I live on the coast and it's always wet here.

People claim lots of things about how it effects the sound, but I would image that I could cut the bottom 1/4 out of it and that would allow it to operate in free air as designed, but still provide decent protection.

Last edited:

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Yes you could use a foam baffle.... I would cut the bottom out though. The first defense against water getting in is new window belt moldings.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay so I solved the problem. I ditched the adapters that came with the speakers and screwed them straight to the door. Now it sound great! All that's left to do now is chase down a few small rattles and then ill be ready for the sub. My amp finally came today too. It has speaker level inputs on it, would these sound good enough or should I still go the LOC route?

The amp is a rockford fosgate R500x1D.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If the amp has speaker level inputs, there is no need for a line output converter then. I would tap into the front speaker wires for the signal though. Now to get the sub in the box, the box in the truck and finish up the wiring... :hmm: