How much better is the 14B 9.5" SF really?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even though some will argue, I think the 10-bolt is fine for a lightweight truck that does limited towing and doesn't get drag raced or climb rocks. Your truck is already outside of that. If you're taking your heavy Suburban offroad and already toasted the limited slip once, I'd definitely upgrade to a 14-bolt.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even though some will argue, I think the 10-bolt is fine for a lightweight truck that does limited towing and doesn't get drag raced or climb rocks. Your truck is already outside of that. If you're taking your heavy Suburban offroad and already toasted the limited slip once, I'd definitely upgrade to a 14-bolt.

Agree. 10 bolt rear axles and 4L60Es are fine on STOCK power and road use/light off roading. However, if you want to make a 1/2 ton GMT400 a serious rock crawler/off roader/hot rod, these parts do not last. 14 bolt is definitely worth it.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another option, tho not a direct bolt in, is a Dana 60 of a mid 2000's van. The width should be close, if not a tad wider, which is a bonus. 6 lug, disc brakes, IIRC 35 spline axles, bigger n stronger then either the 10 bolt or 14sf. I found one in a yard other day, 3.73s and a govlock. Dunno the strength on the grenade lock, most people swap out for a Detroit or spool or whatever. But I'd think how ever strong it is, it's an upgrade over the 10 bolt....

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone know how the gov-lock (g80) hold up in the 14B SF rear ends? I know it's pitifully weak in the 10B, as OP has experienced. Is it any different in the larger housing?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The G80 Gov-Lock in it's various versions is the same concept, but with few or no interchangeable parts.

The G80 as used in the 8.5" and smaller ring gear axle is weak, as used in the 9.5" and 10.5" axle is fairly robust.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is your criteria, or your standard of " how better is A or B ? Better braking= 14 bolt. , Higher gross cargo capacity = 14 bolt. , Stronger Third member = 14 bolt. , Choice of Limited slip clutch, Gov lok, or Gear locker= 14 bolt. , Easy upgrade for 6 lug GM axle vehicles over lower rated 10 bolt axle.
Early days we stuffed 12 bolt axles under hot rods for durability. Heavier built, stronger materials, kinda no brainer.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have always thought that some g80's were limited slip, and some were lockers - with the 14b being the locker. It is not made to lock and hold up to repeated (like the better aftermarket offerings) offroad abuse though, more like just to "get you up the boat ramp" is the common phrase.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
G80 for passenger cars is "limited slip".

G80 for GMT400 trucks--and perhaps others--is a governed locker (Gov-Lock). Locks when there's a loss of traction (one wheel spins 150 rpm more than the other) and vehicle speed is below the governed limit which I think is about 25 mph.

If the differential locks and speed exceeds the governed limit, it'll stay locked until the torque input reduces. Then it releases and won't lock again until vehicle speed decreases to below the limit.