'96 cheyenne 14bolt,9.5", SF, 8 lug, parts problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tnman54

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what a journey...as some of you know my situation, Im going to a new thread concerning how to find the correct parts. I had issues with this truck as described in the threads, "is ACDelco 10-4051 gear oil discontinued", and "Thump thump G80 and confusing gear oil"....so I decided to replace the cross pin shaft and C-clips before I put diff cover back on "again". I inspected the outer axle bearings very close, they seem very new and seals not leaking. A concern was just a smidge of side play, which some say is normal with cylindrical roller bearings (not sealed bearings). I ordered a cross pin from auto zone and although it was supposed to fit, it was entirely different. I order another from rock auto, which is pictured. All the info about the part is "it is a fit"...does the extra length matter? or did I get the wrong part? Ordered C-clips off amazon which were coming from yukon gear, I got one, charged for two, but no more available. Geez, this is nuts. (the shorter pin is original, the longer is from rock auto)

Attachments

• IMG_20230727_152620.jpg
    IMG_20230727_152620.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Tnman54

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what a journey...as some of you know my situation, Im going to a new thread concerning how to find the correct parts. I had issues with this truck as described in the threads, "is ACDelco 10-4051 gear oil discontinued", and "Thump thump G80 and confusing gear oil"....so I decided to replace the cross pin shaft and C-clips before I put diff cover back on "again". I inspected the outer axle bearings very close, they seem very new and seals not leaking. A concern was just a smidge of side play, which some say is normal with cylindrical roller bearings (not sealed bearings). I ordered a cross pin from auto zone and although it was supposed to fit, it was entirely different. I order another from rock auto, which is pictured. All the info about the part is "it is a fit"...does the extra length matter? or did I get the wrong part? Ordered C-clips off amazon which were coming from yukon gear, I got one, charged for two, but no more available. Geez, this is nuts. (the shorter pin is original, the longer is from rock auto)
here is the part # listed by rock auto

Differential Pinion Shaft - GM (14012700)​

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
here is the part # listed by rock auto

Differential Pinion Shaft - GM (14012700)​

The one listed for the Gov-Loc is GM 14039025, and indicates 144.78mm whereas the one you got is 148.0mm. Did you see that one down there at the bottom of the list? Maybe I'm reading something wrong in your post but if you have a 9.5" 14 bolt w/G80 that looks like the one you need.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Test-fit the new pin. If it clears when the diff case is turned a full rotation, you could use it even if it's too long.

Assumes that the diameter is correct, though. SHOULD be.

This is the one I bought, not installed yet. Yukon claims it fits both open and Gov-Lock 9.5" differentials. (9.25 front differential, too.)
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EHN35H6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Test-fit the new pin. If it clears when the diff case is turned a full rotation, you could use it even if it's too long.

Assumes that the diameter is correct, though. SHOULD be.

This is the one I bought, not installed yet. Yukon claims it fits both open and Gov-Lock 9.5" differentials. (9.25 front differential, too.)
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EHN35H6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Sure would be nice if they'd tell us the dimensions of the part, but nowhere I've looked does it say. :(

By the way, that Yukon part # YSPXP-034 plugged into Rock returns a result of USA Standard Gear USA33402 for $24.79

Richard

Tnman54

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks everyone, and yes, it sure would be better if they would give dimensions....would make things easier

Tnman54

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one listed for the Gov-Loc is GM 14039025, and indicates 144.78mm whereas the one you got is 148.0mm. Did you see that one down there at the bottom of the list? Maybe I'm reading something wrong in your post but if you have a 9.5" 14 bolt w/G80 that looks like the one you need.

Richard
my bad...i didnt see the length measurements on the site, thanks for pointing that out. I think you are correct. My pin is 142.25mm. 144.78 is much closer than 148

Tnman54

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after putting new c-cips in and old cross pin, it eliminated the in/out play of axle on one side and lessened the play on the other...im going to have to do a re-evaluation...i dont think the vibration is coming from differential. I may have to do the "under the truck camera" to find it. Im starting to wonder about the drive shaft /ujoints, although they seem good and didnt do anything going 60mph while on jack stands...but that may not matter. I wish I had a cool garage to work in, but out in the driveway on this very hot day is testing...cant take much of this heat

Last edited:

Tnman54

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after putting new c-cips in and old cross pin, it eliminated the in/out play of axle on one side and lessened the play on the other...im going to have to do a revaluation...i dont thing the vibration is coming from differential. I may have to do the "under the truck camera" to find it. Im starting to wonder about the drive shaft /ujoints, although they seem good and didnt do anything going 60mph while on jack stands...but that may not matter. I wish I had a cool garage to work in, but out in the driveway on this very hot day is testing...cant take much of this heat

Tnman54

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but a "dumb ***" probably couldnt fix it even in an air conditioned garage with a lift...lol