How do I improve the stance of my 1997 Chevy Silverado Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I would park your truck on a level area such as in your garage and measure from the center of your wheel hub up to the fender and make sure both sides are the same height. The key bolt is an 18mm. You can crank to much, must watch the CV boot angles and upper control arm bump stops. I think you don't want more than 2 boot ribs touching as a general rule. You will need an alignment after. Your stock wheels and tires will look fine.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Like skyhighcolorado and everyone said, crank your torsion bars and 2" blocks, when I cranked mine i measured from floor to frame rail so I didn't have to keep crawling out, don't go over 1.5" of crank(this measurement you will want to do with fender height as it will get to 1.5" before your frame will) count your turns and do the same amount on the other side, should get you close then just do fine adjustments, drive it around a little bit and let it adjust then remeasure, then like hunter said find a nice set of rims with 4.5 backspace, a 8" wide rim or you will have rubbing issues, a 285/75 will put you at a decent height, the yukon in my signature is cranked but no blocks in the rear on 285/75r16

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Here is mine. Has a 2" block and cranked bars. Stock wheels and tire size. You will be fine like this, but it will end up driving you crazy wanting tires and wheels.
You must be registered for see images attach

I bought my truck like this though with good tires.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Here is mine. Has a 2" block and cranked bars. Stock wheels and tire size. You will be fine like this, but it will end up driving you crazy wanting tires and wheels.

I bought my truck like this though with good tires.

It'll really drive you crazy when your exhaust tips are bigger than your wheels haha

Moochdog

Reaction score
You guys are GREAT! Thanks for all the input and pictures to back it up. I think I am going to go w/ the 2" blocks in the rear and cranking the torsion blocks. Its a good cheap way to get a meaner looking stance out of the truck. Anyone have any suggestions on what brand leveling blocks or where to get them from?

Also, Anyone have any pics or suggestions for wheels with 4.5" backspacing that are 8" wide? Should I stay w/ 16" rim?

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
This was crank with 2" blocks and stock size tires, 265/75R16's

Not sure of wheel size or backspacing, was closeish to stock.

This was crank with no rear block, 265/75R16 Copper ST's

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
A block is a block, if you can find steel blocks they will hold up better if your gonna be hauling anything heavy, and for rims it's basically at your discretion, you can go any size you want 15x8, 16x8, he'll you could go 18x9 or whatever you want, and you are the best judge on the style of rim you want, all I can say is if you go to wide make sure it has negative offset so it'll clear the frame when turning and start trimming parts so they fit, what i had on the yukon was 16x8 vision wheels with 285x75r16, and had 0 offset with I believe 3.5 backspacing

Moochdog

Reaction score
I dont want to be rubbing or trimming anything. Will I be safe w/ 15x8 or 16x8 wheels w/ 4.5 backspacing and no offset? Looking for a safe bet w/ wheel/tire size. Im assuming that the backspacing is referring to how far out to the side of the vehicle the wheel sticks out past stock? If thats the case, what does the offset refer to? Sorry if these questions are dumb...