How do I improve the stance of my 1997 Chevy Silverado Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moochdog

Reaction score
I just bought a 1997 Chevy Silverado with the Z71 package. It is completely stock and I want to improve it's stance and make it look meaner/beefier. I am a new member here and look forward to learning a lot about my new truck and how to improve it in many different ways. I have done quite a bit of research on this topic prior to this post and have not found a good solid answer. I have read about the "block and crank" method but I am not exactly sure what it is. I have also been reading about the leveling kits. I do not want to do a body or suspension lift. I would like to do this as cost effectively as possible without cutting corners or using poor quality parts. I use the truck mainly as a daily driver but once in a while take it off road when going hunting. I dont want to compromise my suspension very much if I dont need to. I dont do any heavy duty off roading. No sand dunes, deep mud, etc. Any help for this noob would be greatly appreciated. Pros/Cons of each way would also be great. In addition, what are good brands of parts that are recommended? I am also interested in switching to some different wheels that are a little wider and stick out the side of the truck a little more. Im assuming this is the offset? Any pictures and/or info would be a great help.

Attachments

• z71.jpg
    z71.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 96
Reaction score
What do you mean you want to change the stance but not do some sort of lift? I don't really understand what you're looking for. Maybe post an example picture of how you want it to turn out.

shorepatrol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice truck, I love the stance. Dig that shell as well. Flows good

Moochdog

Reaction score
I guess what im looking for is to level out the front end of the truck. Not sure if the best bet is to do this by cranking the torsion bar or getting a leveling kit. If leveling kit is the way to go, is it possible to get a larger leveling kit and some kind of spacers for the leaf springs to bring up the rear also? I dont want to do a suspension lift and im not a huge fan of body lifts. Just looking for something simple to do to give the truck a little taller look without negatively affecting performance or longevity of suspension components. I also like wheels/tires that are wider and stick out the side of the truck a little bit. One member had 15x12.5 wheels w/ 33's. My tires are good and I hate to buy all new wheels and tires, but i like the wider looking stance. Any suggestions on wheels that dont cost an arm and a leg would be good too. If you have pictures to help illustrate leveling kits, cranked torsion bars, etc it would help. Sorry, im a noob, but any help would be appreciated.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Basically, I think cranking the T-bars would be your best bet. It will ride a little stiffer, but it will sit level

Moochdog

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. What is the correct procedure to adjust the torsion bar so that both sides are even? Also, why do you recommend this over a leveling kit? What are people referring to when they say leveling kit AND BLOCKS? What are the blocks. Sorry for all of the questions, just trying to understand and do it right. Also, is it possible to crank the torsion bar too much?

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. What is the correct procedure to adjust the torsion bar so that both sides are even? Also, why do you recommend this over a leveling kit? What are people referring to when they say leveling kit AND BLOCKS? What are the blocks. Sorry for all of the questions, just trying to understand and do it right. Also, is it possible to crank the torsion bar too much?

Lift blocks are blocks that go in between the leaf spring and the axle to lift the rear. IMO I would put a 2" block in the rear, crank your torsion bars to level the front with the rear. And get you some 16x8 wheels with 4.5" backspacing or less. And get some 285/75 mud tires.

The reason you don't need to buy a leveling kit or torsion bar keys is because your factory keys can crank your bars to the max, so the leveling keys are not needed.

Here's a pic of blocks

You must be registered for see images attach

Moochdog

Reaction score
^^^ This sounds good. Would it look awkward to do this and leave stock size wheels and tires for now? What is a good brand of lift blocks? Is an alignment needed after this?

shorepatrol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Other forums would berate the hell out this kid for these questions . Here?.....solid info. This forum and its members are TOP notch