Hooker Competition Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
The x-pipe is a Summit brand "narrow" x-pipe. It's a 2 1/2" pipe diameter with 4 1/4" spacing center to center, so it will hook up nicely with my duals running parallel down the passenger side like stock.

Thanks man. I've been looking for something like this for a while, I've got both of my duals running down the passenger side with one tail pipe 45'd behind each rear tire. I thought maybe I'd have to run a small H pipe but this is definitely that way to go.

bjones

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dropped them both down from the top, copper rtv will likley help, my issue is the gasket kinda swooped down and just caught the edge of the flange and blew out right away, I ended up using a mr gasket ultra seal gasket there.. the other side was perfect though, and i'd wait on the clips and such for the locking bolts, the allen head on those will save you many knuckles and curses though. just put them on tight, run it good and hot then tighten when its still hot, let it cool completely and retighten what you can, run it for a week or 2 then repeat and you should be good, also you will likley have to use stock bolts with the spacers provided for the front 2, to clear the a/c (if you have) or the locking bolts may work as well. just be sure that they are not too wide with the washer and all, theres not a whole lot of room.

and that should sound really good.. I need to get something as dummy cats, i even though of 2 mufflers in a row, or a 22" magnaflow
are you welding in O2 bungs (not sure what year your truck is)

Thanks for the advice! I'll wait to install the lock tabs after a couple of heat cycles and torquings. I think I'll clear alright, but we'll see what's up; one of the main things that drew me to the Stage 8s was not only the locking tabs but the allen heads too, that's a massive help, especially for the back bolts on both sides. I am welding in O2 bungs, since the Hookers only have one O2 bung on the driver's side, and it's only in one primary, I bought 4 new bungs to weld in. The truck is a 99 so it has 4 O2 sensors, I welded in a bung in each header's primary and I'll put two more downstream of the bullets so it looks like it has cats. I had to hunt for a while for a drill bit that will work, and it looks like a 9/16 is just the right size.

I just got in from doing some work tonight and I'm uploading pictures. Tomorrow I'm going for more, the Hookers are going in and I'm going to start building up the exhaust. I'm going to go right up to the X-pipe so if I HAVE to I can use the truck tomorrow night and wait for the Magnaflows to come in Friday, then do them and the tailpipes.

bjones

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks man. I've been looking for something like this for a while, I've got both of my duals running down the passenger side with one tail pipe 45'd behind each rear tire. I thought maybe I'd have to run a small H pipe but this is definitely that way to go.

The Summit narrow X is excellent, it's welded nicely and has a tight center-to-center so it fits well. I think it was 38 bucks so it's real affordable too. Glad I could help!

Subd I cant get this done soon enough

I'm excited to, can't wait to fire it up finished Friday night :)

bjones

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you mock up that passenger side O-2 bung where you welded it? It looks like you welded it on the upper inner part...there may be clearance issues there since the bung is about 2.5 inches long.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Did you mock up that passenger side O-2 bung where you welded it? It looks like you welded it on the upper inner part...there may be clearance issues there since the bung is about 2.5 inches long.

I looks like it will clear, theres lots of room between the header and block/trans there.

It looks as if you've cut off the flanges and expanded the collector, may I ask what your planning?

Did you tune out the EGR? it may throw codes if not. are your rear O2's going in just for looks? or will you hook them up? they may throw a cel if you dont actually have cats.

bjones

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looks like it will clear, theres lots of room between the header and block/trans there.

It looks as if you've cut off the flanges and expanded the collector, may I ask what your planning?

Did you tune out the EGR? it may throw codes if not. are your rear O2's going in just for looks? or will you hook them up? they may throw a cel if you dont actually have cats.

I dropped the headers in this afternoon, got the driver's side bolted up and done but the passenger side has issues I'm addressing in the morning. It looks like the O2 will clear fine but as you said Hezsus the firewall will need some convincing with a BFH to get clearance for the header. But that is for tomorrow lol.

I did cut off the 3 bolt flanges and used an expander tool to make the end of the collector 2 1/2" ID so it will slip over the 2 1/2" OD of the rest of the exhaust. I did this so I could run lap joint band clamps at the headers; there will be another set at the mufflers so I can drop the mid pipe to work on the trans or anything that may need it out of the way. I'm not a big fan of 3 bolt flanges, I've got friends who have them on their cars and trucks and they've all experienced sealing issues.

The truck currently has a tune on it to kill the rear O2s and EGR, the truck HAD high flow cats on it but ran rich for a little bit, slagged them and blew them out. So the truck is all nested to delete rear O2s and EGR. The rear O2s are going in for looks, I want it to look like it has cats for any visual inspections circumstances.

I'll upload updated pictures tomorrow and get seriously working on the mid-pipe building in the morning. It looks like my plans may have to modify a bit, the collector on the header is right in line to collide with the trans crossmember on the driver's side if I go straight out so I'll have to clock those S bends a bit to get some height to go up over it. I'll document everything and get plenty of pictures!