Hooker Competition Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bjones

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking at putting some on my truck, just wondering how many people have done this and what I'll be looking at as far as installation. Any tips or things to look out for? I'm planning on doing the Hookers with some quality gaskets and those Stage 8 locking header bolts. Any/all help will be appreciated and I'll be sure to post lots of pics and vids of my new setup when it's done :D

Thanks in advance fellas!

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have had the regular Hooker Headers and loved them alot, way better then my current Hedman's on my current truck. SO I can only imagine that the Comp headers are even better seeing as you have a worked over engine.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
When you're removing the stock manifolds its a lot easier to just cut the mid-pipe off near the connection than try to reach up there and mess with all those bolts. Also, use some kind of penetrating oil and soak the manifold bolts before you try to remove them, you don't want to break a bolt off in the head and have to try to remove that. Are you making your own mid-pipe or are you taking it to a shop?

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey this is good to know read what I found maybe the mods can have this somewhere so we won't have to search for this post.
Post subject: Penetrating oil test.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Penetrating oil test.

I don't know if I already posted this but this is good info.
Be good! Rollie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Penetrating Oils Compared

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results!

*They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.*

*Penetrating oil ..... Average load*

None ..................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ............. 238 pounds
PB Blaster ............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench .. 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

*The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone*
*Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. A local machinist group mixed up a batch and all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.*

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you're removing the stock manifolds its a lot easier to just cut the mid-pipe off near the connection than try to reach up there and mess with all those bolts. Also, use some kind of penetrating oil and soak the manifold bolts before you try to remove them, you don't want to break a bolt off in the head and have to try to remove that. Are you making your own mid-pipe or are you taking it to a shop?

I would not cut it off and ruin the stock stuff, if you ever want to go back to stock you will be screwed. I just did a FULL exhaust build last weekend, and it took me 3 hours to remove everything by unbolting it. The penetrating oil is a good idea.

The EGR valve will be the biggest ***** in the process....it is way down there, rusted, and not a lot of wrench room. Make sure you have a 1" stubby wrench, since there is not room for anything else. You get about 1/3 turn on it at a time. After that it is smooth sailing.

bjones

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to be putting the headers on with a custom mid-pipe setup with an X Pipe going to dual Magnaflows. I'm also picking up a pair of Dynomax Bullets to throw in where the cats would be to help with rasp, we'll see how it goes. I'm cutting the three bolt flanges off the headers and will do high quality full OD band clamps at the header to mid-pipe and another set before the mufflers so I can drop the mid-pipe easily to work on the transmission.

I'm confident I can fab the mid-pipe up since I have access to and experience with a 240V mig and accurate metal saws. I also have a pipe expander so all my permanent joints will be lapped then full OD welded.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Sounds like a pretty nice setup you're gonna have...I can't wait to ditch these shorties for a set of longtubes

bjones

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a pretty nice setup you're gonna have...I can't wait to ditch these shorties for a set of longtubes

yeah I'm pretty excited, I have a feeling this cam is finally going to get to stretch out some, lifting .541 on exhaust through the manifolds and stock mid-pipe is killing me. I'm gonna go with 2.5" through the whole mid-pipe since the Hookers have 2.5" collectors then after the Magnaflows I'm buying 2 of those Walker OEM tailpipe assemblies in 3" and running duals out the side, stock exit location. Then nice tips and call it. I'm going to take tons of in-progress pictures all along the way too :D

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
yeah I'm pretty excited, I have a feeling this cam is finally going to get to stretch out some, lifting .541 on exhaust through the manifolds and stock mid-pipe is killing me. I'm gonna go with 2.5" through the whole mid-pipe since the Hookers have 2.5" collectors then after the Magnaflows I'm buying 2 of those Walker OEM tailpipe assemblies in 3" and running duals out the side, stock exit location. Then nice tips and call it. I'm going to take tons of in-progress pictures all along the way too :D
Yeah, the stock manifolds are horrible, and the tiny mid pipe with crush bends is probably even worse. Can't wait to see the results, good luck!