Headlight upgrade for sealed beams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn’t notice in search that anyone here has posted anything about these for w/t grill trucks so I thought I’d offer my 2 cents (learning the hard way) for how to install these (pics below and next reply).

I will add links at the bottom for all the things I ordered.

After deliberating a while over LEDs and Trucklite headlights I decided I wanted to stay with the classic look and DOT legal while upgrading the light output over the crappy sealed beams. These looked updated yet kept the truck looking clean IMO.

They come with a hardened borosilicate glass lens and a cast aluminum back. So the quality is impressive out of the box. They are touted as “plug and play” but they are far from it (at least for GMT400’s). With a little handy work though, it’s not that bad to install them.

The headlight adjustment buckets will not accept the large weather seal on the back of the housing without modification. The hole is way too small.
To remove the buckets, unscew the adjustment bolts. There’s one one the side and another on top of each. As you undo these the tension on the spring on the lower part of the bucket will release which makes them easier to unhook.

I took an angle grinder with a cut off wheel to enlarge the center of the headlight buckets. You might think tin snips would be worth a try but I even tried bull snips to no avail.

Side note- the adjustment bolt retainers (white plastic) will likely need to be replaced because they will be old, brittle and won’t hold again with reassembly. I found this out too late and had to order them on amazon (10 for $13) after I broke two of them. Those are pictured as well.

I filed down the rough edges on the new holes I made and used etching primer followed by tractor paint to keep the rust away. If yours are as rusty as mine were to begin with, then some rust reformer before this step works well.

Reinstall the buckets. Now you can mount the new housings. On the battery side I found it easier to install the bulb first since there’s less room to get your hand in behind the headlight once it’s bolted up. I had to cut part of the center hole on the weather cap to allow the pigtail to attach. Yours might fit. Modify to fit your application just don’t go overboard. It still needs to work to keep moisture out.

Now here comes the bad news.
Even with the standard 55/60 low/hi beam H4 bulbs, the stock lighting harness isn’t enough. I even have the big 6 done already with 0/1 ga!
Man was I confused (followed by pissed) when I went to fire these bad boys up and only 1 side lit. I wiggled the pigtail to get the other side on but then high beams wouldn’t work.
So save yourself that trouble and downtime (especially if it’s your daily) and order a H4 upgraded harness. Got mine from Classic Industries for $35 shipped.

Still waiting on that harness so I’ll update once that’s in. Should be simple to install. It has the relays you need to draw current directly from the battery.

Hope this is helpful to someone :superhack::waytogo:

The housings $65 for the pair:
https://www.vxwholesale.com/hi-lo-sealed-beam-replacement-light-vision-x-vx-57-4004023/

The super white H4 bulbs $30 for the pair (brighter than silverstar):
https://www.vxwholesale.com/55-60-w...-superwhite-bulb-set-vision-x-vx-dh4-4001602/

The relay H4 harness $25:
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1995/chevrolet/all-models/parts/mx01132.html

The adjuster bolts:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040CYVHW?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rest of the pics

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I guess I was wrong. After the harness install the problem persists. Back to square one. :banghead:

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe I am just an old school fool but I love seal beam headlamps. They last forever and give enough light for my 65 year old eyes. I don't drive off road or fast either though. They certainly give a lot less trouble than halogen bulbs and never fade or yellow.
I was just thinking about it and I have never owned a vehicle that didn't have seal beams except a 39 Packard and those lights were like having a candle in front.

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe I am just an old school fool but I love seal beam headlamps. They last forever and give enough light for my 65 year old eyes. I don't drive off road or fast either though. They certainly give a lot less trouble than halogen bulbs and never fade or yellow.
I was just thinking about it and I have never owned a vehicle that didn't have seal beams except a 39 Packard and those lights were like having a candle in front.

Part of me says leave well enough alone but after the investment, I’m committed to making these work. Guess I’ll have to pay someone to fix this. Hate that. I need to learn wiring. It doesn’t help that the harness had been modified for plow duty, which isn’t the culprit, but makes chasing the issue down all the more tedious.

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Btw. I reinstalled the sealed beams and it’s exactly the same. Lol. It can’t be the bulbs

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In doing auto repair for 45 years now I find most wiring issues are a result of someone changing something not factory wiring. I would at least check all the work done for the plow lights first. Wiring is easy when you break it down to all you need is power and ground,what is missing?

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In doing auto repair for 45 years now I find most wiring issues are a result of someone changing something not factory wiring. I would at least check all the work done for the plow lights first. Wiring is easy when you break it down to all you need is power and ground,what is missing?

Well the sealed beams worked perfect before I plugged up the halogens. Went back to sealed beam and it’s all wonky (before I touched the harness). Then I upgraded the harness and all was well for about 15 min. Then one side shut down. Wiggles the pigtail- was back again- then not. Back to sealed beams- same issue. Strangest thing. But I may have to undo all the aftermarket stuff and start over I guess.

Tachyon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My solution to this was to replace the grill (I used the black Tahoe Sport Grill because it looks nice) and then got the various brackets, screws and mounting hardware for the lights and grill from either LMC or Rock Auto, can't remember. I also got replacement headlight connectors (with wire pigtails) for the composite headlights and cut out and replaced the sealed beam connectors with the composite connectors. I now have basically a stock looking composite headlamp and grill truck.
This was a half day's work, but I haven't had to touch anything since. I'm very happy with the results. YMMV of course.