Headlight restore

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
The new housings look very good. I took the advice of the boys above and used alternating rubbing compound & whitning toothpaste. Headlights came out a lot better than I thought they would. The parking lights still look yellow. May end up getting new ones. Where are you getting a new set for $50?

Ace Autoparts and Machine shop in the next city over from mine. (Not stolen :lol:) if i remember right, they specialize in GM trucks.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
I did the same as Just2sweet, ive done it on many cars , and works awesome, way cheaper then buying new headlights, just alittle elbow grease and its like new.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Just like Just2sweet said....I use 1,000, 2,000 then light compound to take the small scratches out, and finish with Meguiar's Plastix. Turned out just like new. Make sure you keep the headlights/tail lights wet while your sanding them. Took me probably 2-3 hours total. And...a buffer does wonders.

CUSTOM06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the same problem. 19 years of yellowing on my housing made light output ****. Tried my moms Mothers-brand (lol) headlight restore kit but it didnt help one bit. Did wonders on the taillights, though. Ended up saying to hell with this and buying new housings altogether. I can get you driver+passender side brand new for $50 if you want. Not sure how shipping would be.

EDIT: Just realized that my sig pictures the new housings. Looks nice, eh? :)

Where are you getting them from?

CUSTOM06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used Meguirres, excuse me it's spelled wrong, and they turned out ok. I'll use them for another 12-13 years. But rubbing compound works alot beter. The Meg brand doesn't have the grit like the rubbing compound has.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just used the 3M headlight restore kit a few days ago, it works awesome and has everything you need. Im even going to have enough to do my foglights. Less than $20 @ Parts Source.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
powerball and plastx works well, quick and easy

"STROKER ACE"

Reaction score
Hey i just did mine and i used the turtle wax kit from wal mart. it was under $10 bucks and made them look better then new. follow the steps on the sand paper keeping it wet the whole time and finish off with the rubbing compound provided and a power ball. well worth the money. hey almost forgot. tape around your whole lite assembly so you dont scratch the paint. Good Luck