Headlight bulb information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I find these very consistent and longest lasting of all headlamps. They may not be as bright as the newest stuff but my truck doesn't go faster than the headlights

You must be registered for see images attach

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A little thread drift but in the 60's when they started putting 289 Ford motors in the Sunbeam Alpine to create the Tiger. They somhow became imported by Chrysler and had the pentastar emblem on the bottom of the front fender. Only Chrysler part on the car.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I find these very consistent and longest lasting of all headlamps. They may not be as bright as the newest stuff but my truck doesn't go faster than the headlights

see post #2 in this thread.....this is not meant to be derogatory either.

i'll copy and past it here instead, for everyone to make the correlation between your statement and the facts.....

" Brighter is better, right? "
Sure, but only if that light goes where it is intended to go, and no light goes where it is not intended to go. Headlight aim is very important in assuring you get all of the light where it needs to go, on the road where it is useful.

To borrow a phrase from Pirelli: " Power is nothing without control"

Headlamp optical design is a very complicated subject. The human eye adapts to changes in light by either dialating your pupils, or constricting them.

If there is too much foreground light ( light immediately in front of the vehicle, up to about 150 feet ) the pupils constrict, as a result you can not see as well as you think you can. If you think having a bright foreground will prevent you from running over objects at speed, you are wrong. Taking the average reaction time and speed into account, traveling 60 mph, and the average stopping distance, you would have run over the object by the time you saw it.

Let's do some math, from 60 mph ( 88 feet per second )

0.4 second reaction time / 35.2 feet
60-0 distance on warm, dry pavement ~ 160 feet ( impending ABS activation )

This means, with great reflexes, you have covered about 195 feet by the time you noticed an object or animal in the road, hit your brakes and come to a complete stop. In inclement weather, or with other factors such as age, sex, hydration levels, etc, you must allow for more time to stop.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score

6054's have their place. If you don't drive faster than your headlights, you would be literally parked or at in town speeds.

Fact: Both filaments share the reflector, and NEITHER can be at the exact focal point required. Both must be either adjacent, or one must be exact, and the other adjacent. Out of both beams possible, at least one or both will be compromised as a result.

The reflector and optics are, well to put it nicely, primitive.

The TruckLite LED's are a welcome upgrade, and if you don't want to pony up the money, the GE Nighthawk 6054 would be the best halogen drop in.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After reading the evidence and seeing the advantages I like the led conversion. But I am having a hard time with about $200.00 bucks apiece for head lights. Then I think of the lights I buy for customers when doing collision repair these days and they start to look cheap. I will admit that one night last week when it was raining out I was driving down a street with a 35 mph speed limit doing about 30 and had two people cross the street with dark clothing. I thought to myself if I had been doing 35 or 40 It may have been too late to stop for these dummies

Just hard to make them fit with my retro theme.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
After reading the evidence and seeing the advantages I like the led conversion. But I am having a hard time with about $200.00 bucks apiece for head lights. Then I think of the lights I buy for customers when doing collision repair these days and they start to look cheap. I will admit that one night last week when it was raining out I was driving down a street with a 35 mph speed limit doing about 30 and had two people cross the street with dark clothing. I thought to myself if I had been doing 35 or 40 It may have been too late to stop for these dummies

Just hard to make them fit with my retro theme.

I actually think the Trucklites would look really good on your truck. I'm considering a round set of them for my '70 Monte Carlo.