Headlight bulb information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
In the United States and Canada, ( DOT ) nominal headlight voltage is specified at 12.8 volts.

In Europe ( ECE ) they rate headlights at 13.2 volts.

Both DOT and ECE lifespan ratings are specified at 14 volts.

Bulb life varies exponentially with changes in voltage, to the -13th power.

Bulb output (lumens) varies exponentially with change in voltage, to the +3.4 power. It's tempting to say the life curve is so much steeper than the output curve that it's worth lowering the voltage to get long lifespan, but it's really not. If you look at the data for how much more likely you are to be in a visibility-related crash after dark than in daylight, you will quickly decide that output is much more important than lifespan.

Old bulbs can suffer degradation from many forms. In a system where the DRL's use headlight bulbs, and the applied voltage is lower, the bulbs can accumulate black deposits from the vaporized tungsten that does not re-attach itself to the filament.

The physical positioning of a filament can change over time, the filament undergoes loss, and in a halogen environment if the voltage is high enough, the vaporized tungsten gets re-deposited on the red hot filament, but not necessarily in the place where it left. The resulting geometric change in shape will de-focus the headlamp filament.

" I just bought '80' watt low beams to replace my 55 watt ones. "

Wattage without any other specification is useless. 5 mpg sounds like a terrible fuel mileage, but if you are driving a tractor-trailer unit grossing 140,000 pounds, that's not bad.

What's a watt? A watt would be 1 volt applied across a resistance of 1 ohm, and a resultant 1 ampere of current flow.

Many calculators are available online to show you the relationship between voltage, resistance and current.

Those 80 watt low beams might be 80 watts at 14+ volts, but may be 40ish watts at 11 volts.

" My headlights suck, can't I just install an HID kit? " If you intend to use the factory installed housings, no.

While you can certainly install certain stand alone HID projector units from Hella, and others ( flange mount ) that are weather sealed and certified to maintain compliance with laws, installing a projector assembly from another vehicle, or a custom one behind the original optical lens will result in a non-compliant assembly.

" I just installed these [ insert brand here ] LED drop in's, and I can see much better! " There is no legally compliant drop in LED headlight system, period. Nor will there be for a reflector housing designed for halogen light sources. Irregular radiation pattern, and excessive glare for oncoming traffic are just part of the problem.

" What is the difference between LL bulbs and regular bulbs? "

Long life bulbs may last a long, long time. They also produce LOWER output than a regular bulb. Do you want to see, or not?

" Can I install relays for the headlights? "

Yes, you should if being able to see is your number one priority. In some vehicles, the headlights are fed by as small as 20 gauge ( SAE sizes are smaller than AWG sizes ! ) wire. This is woefully inadequate, leading to horrific voltage drop and dismal output.

" Can I measure my voltage drop? "

Absolutely, with a volt / ohm meter. The correct way to do this is with the bulbs lit up and functioning. This requires backprobing the headlight connections, in some vehicles this is not easy. A couple of paper clips straightened out and inserted next to the wire in the silicone seal of a weatherpack connector can work, although there are specialty tools for this as well. Measure for both the battery positive and the ground voltage drop, adding these together is your total voltage drop.

Set your meter to measure resistance, take the red lead and place it on the battery +, then take the black lead and place it on the backprobe device. Write down the value. Repeat for the battery - to the headlight negative lead, this time placing the red lead on the headlight backprobe device.

Add the two together, and this is your total loss in the headlight system.

" My headlamps are hazy / yellow, will better bulbs help? "

A very small amount. If you are on an absolutely beer budget, cleaning and or polishing your headlamps along with good quality relays is your number 1 and 2 items to address.

Look at it this way... if someone smeared Vaseline on your television screen, would turning up the color temperature compensate for the picture distortion? NOPE.

The lenses are part and parcel of the OPTICS of the headlight, a complete system.

" These bulbs have a blue coating on them, and I can see better! "

Selective filtering ( like the Sylvania Silver Star ) reduces the total amount of light reaching the road. By applying a blue filter, you reduce the amount of light. You cannot filter a light source to remove some band of light, and wind up with MORE light, period.

It is an optical illusion.

Last edited:

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
" Brighter is better, right? "

Sure, but only if that light goes where it is intended to go, and no light goes where it is not intended to go. Headlight aim is very important in assuring you get all of the light where it needs to go, on the road where it is useful.

To borrow a phrase from Pirelli: " Power is nothing without control"

Headlamp optical design is a very complicated subject. The human eye adapts to changes in light by either dialating your pupils, or constricting them.

If there is too much foreground light ( light immediately in front of the vehicle, up to about 150 feet ) the pupils constrict, as a result you can not see as well as you think you can. If you think having a bright foreground will prevent you from running over objects at speed, you are wrong. Taking the average reaction time and speed into account, traveling 60 mph, and the average stopping distance, you would have run over the object by the time you saw it.

Let's do some math, from 60 mph ( 88 feet per second )

0.4 second reaction time / 35.2 feet
60-0 distance on warm, dry pavement ~ 160 feet ( impending ABS activation )

This means, with great reflexes, you have covered about 195 feet by the time you noticed an object or animal in the road, hit your brakes and come to a complete stop. In inclement weather, or with other factors such as age, sex, hydration levels, etc, you must allow for more time to stop.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
this picture is of a OEM lens on the LEFT and an cheap aftermarket lens on the RIGHT. both lamps have the same new bulb, a Vosla +30 9012. it's a good improvement over stock, yet legal. while they're not aimed correctly can you understand how a BULB will not fix a bad system? look t the beam pattern.....

You must be registered for see images attach

information and picture courtesy of candlepower.com forum.....actually i stole it.

Last edited:

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Awesome write up, Michael. I almost feel like this should be a sticky at the top of this section considering how often this stuff comes up.

indeed it is.....

he's a wealth of information and is willing to share it...for that i'm grateful.......

since he introduced me to the candlepower forum i've gotten "smarter".....only problem is i keep loosing track of time and forget most of what i read, LOL.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
" I have heard about HIR bulbs, what are they? "

HIR stands for HALOGEN INFARED REFLECTING. In other words, they are a halogen bulb, with a reflective coating to reflect some of the invisible infared light back at the filament, light that is not 'useful' being emitted from the filament. This in turn, allows the filament to run hotter, and creating more light.

With the same electrical energy, HIR bulbs create a lot more light, about 80% more.

General Electric in 1990 was the first to create the technology.

" Can HIR bulbs be used in XX vehicle? "

HIR bulbs can be used in most vehicles equipped with 9006 low beams and 9005 high beams.

The filament locations, base diameter, and electrical contacts of the 9012 ( same as 9006 ) and 9011 ( same as 9005 ) are the same.

Federally mandated law requires that new bulbs approved for headlight use have a different base than existing units on the market, for this the 9011 and 9012 have slight differences in the 'key' than a 9005 /9006.

Here is the information on how to modify the bases to work in 9005 and 9006 housings:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-91565365470012_2267_311973
Since they are optically compatable ( same filament location and type ) they are pretty much a 'drop in' for a conventional halogen, and work with the existing headlamp optics, resulting in the same legal pattern.

The 9011 may have a slightly wider pattern than a 9005 it replaces, simply due to better bulb focus from the precision filament.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
" I have heard about HIR bulbs, what are they? "

HIR stands for HALOGEN INFARED REFLECTING. In other words, they are a halogen bulb, with a reflective coating to reflect some of the invisible infared light back at the filament, light that is not 'useful' being emitted from the filament. This in turn, allows the filament to run hotter, and creating more light.

With the same electrical energy, HIR bulbs create a lot more light, about 80% more.

General Electric in 1990 was the first to create the technology.

" Can HIR bulbs be used in XX vehicle? "

HIR bulbs can be used in most vehicles equipped with 9006 low beams and 9005 high beams.

The filament locations, base diameter, and electrical contacts of the 9012 ( same as 9006 ) and 9011 ( same as 9005 ) are the same.

Federally mandated law requires that new bulbs approved for headlight use have a different base than existing units on the market, for this the 9011 and 9012 have slight differences in the 'key' than a 9005 /9006.

Here is the information on how to modify the bases to work in 9005 and 9006 housings:

Since they are optically compatable ( same filament location and type ) they are pretty much a 'drop in' for a conventional halogen, and work with the existing headlamp optics, resulting in the same legal pattern.

The 9011 may have a slightly wider pattern than a 9005 it replaces, simply due to better bulb focus from the precision filament.
Do you recommend a certain brand ?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
" I don't like to change headlight bulbs, ever. If they make light, they are good. "

If they make light, they are good? False. 100% false. You could bodge in an 194 with hot melt glue, and it will 'make light', but that doesn't mean it is good.

Over time, bulbs suffer performance degradation. The filament undergoes loss and gain cycles, where a portion of the tungsten filament becomes vaporized, and re-deposits somewhere inside the capsule, often on the filament itself.

With many heating and cooling cycles, the filament can bend or distort, as a result, de-focusing of the headlamp system.

Headlamps are a life safety requirement, not an option.

Some manufacturers use a LL ( long life ) bulb as OE equipped, they produce less light and last a long time, especially paired with low voltage through thin factory wires.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Do you recommend a certain brand ?

Currently, Vosla +30, made in Germany, they are the highest efficacy bulbs on the market, from what I have come across.

You can purchase them from your GM dealer, they were used in a TSB campaign for people who complained about the headlight performance of some 2014+ pickups, and they may be used in other vehicles.

9012 Low beam, also known as HIR2 = GM #23342527
9011 High beam, also known as HIR1 = GM #25770739

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
This is a HIR2, 9012. Vosla +30. GM # 23343527

Notice the taller, wider top tab>? That will require trimming to fit the 9006 bulb holder.

Another view.