Headers on the 5.7 Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Will do. I may create a 'Using TBI headers on a Vortec engine" thread on here with all this info. It is a commonly asked question from what I understand.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will do. I may create a 'Using TBI headers on a Vortec engine" thread on here with all this info. It is a commonly asked question from what I understand.

Yeah do it, that would be great. I want to see pics to of the underside and how it is routed when it is all done. Good luck!

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, so I have the headers lined up, an intake-side EGR plug lined up and I am ready to order, finally.

I know that the TBI headers have 1 02 sensor to check CAT efficiency, while the Vortecs have 2. Since I am getting my rear 02's tuned out anyway, should I just weld the 02 bung shut on the Hooker headers?

I might be wrong but being as 96'+ is a OBDII platform I believe you have (2) O2 sensors before the cats which control the A/F & (2) after the cats, the post cat sensors are what monitor the cats & throw a light if you have a bad cat. The pre cat sensors are a must as they control the A/F mix through the PCM.

At least thats exactly how it works with my LS1 system & its a GM OBDII set-up. I'll look under my 97' Z71 tonight as the exhaust is completely bone stock but I believe this is a correct assumption on my part. I'm just starting to look into full exhaust for the future as well on my truck.

So if this is correct, you will need your rear O2's tuned out or just live with the light on the dash. The fronts, you'll have to have a exhaust shop weld in a second bung on the passenger header for that bank to have a sensor working properly. I believe the OBDI trucks(pre 96') only had a single pre cat sensor in the driver side & a single post cat sensor but I could be mistaken.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
the bung on the hooker headers will not be drilled out, convienent eh? and yes big mike you are correct on your entire post. getting them tuned out isnt a big deal since getting a tune through blackbear performance is cheap and helps other performance/mileage as well. but thats another thread.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seeing as how we are already talking about it, Ill post here. I have a 96 5.7 vortec and the headers I got for mine have a hole for for the EGR tube, but my tube comes straight down, and my threaded opening points straight toward the frame (90 degrees). Does anyone know of an adapter? And where to get it?

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Seeing as how we are already talking about it, Ill post here. I have a 96 5.7 vortec and the headers I got for mine have a hole for for the EGR tube, but my tube comes straight down, and my threaded opening points straight toward the frame (90 degrees). Does anyone know of an adapter? And where to get it?

you'll have to find what the threads are. if your lucky a trip to your local plumbing store for a street 90 will do the trick.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the bung on the hooker headers will not be drilled out, convienent eh? and yes big mike you are correct on your entire post. getting them tuned out isnt a big deal since getting a tune through blackbear performance is cheap and helps other performance/mileage as well. but thats another thread.

Do you have any pictures of the exhaust under your truck? I need to redo mine as its been hacked up removing the cats and rattles like crazy! I was looking at doing a TBI y-pipe and SI/DO muffler with tips and all, but the TBI headers are cheaper than the y-pipe! Just wondering how the routing goes underneath around all the 4x4 stuff. I dont mine using two SI/SO mufflers either for true duals. I'm probably just going to use some summit turbo mufflers. Probably do it all in 2.25" with some nice tips....

Also on the headers did you get some for a 95 4x4 or 2wd?

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
cant remember the exact model of header hooker 2654 or something like that. i'll get oyu some pics.. i have redone my exhaust/parts of it like 5 times, i found that if you are doing it yourself with bought parts like i did your gonna need a day or weekend and a chop saw is real handy.

You must be registered for see images

By hezsus at 2011-01-11

By hezsus at 2011-01-11

By hezsus at 2011-01-11

By hezsus at 2011-01-11

By hezsus at 2011-01-11

By hezsus at 2011-01-11

By hezsus at 2011-01-09

By hezsus at 2011-01-09

By hezsus at 2011-01-08

By hezsus at 2011-01-08
this is where you delete the egr, i used a 1/4" pipe plug with lots teflon tape. still holding

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I like how you cut a 180-pipe in half and rotated half or it to make that offset(zig zag), atleast it looks like that's what you did. Nice welds!