Longtube headers for 98 k1500 5.7 vortec??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A LT1 in a GMT400 is a swap. I actually came really close to building one for the van rather than a Vortec. If the Vette accessories had not been so difficult and $$$ to find, I would have. I still have a clean standard bore 4 bolt LT1 block, LT4 heads and LT4 intake sitting at the shop along with an OBD2 timing cover. My first plan before I built the 383 was a 12:1 396 LT4.

edcoxjr1968

Reaction score
A LT1 in a GMT400 is a swap. I actually came really close to building one for the van rather than a Vortec. If the Vette accessories had not been so difficult and $$$ to find, I would have. I still have a clean standard bore 4 bolt LT1 block, LT4 heads and LT4 intake sitting at the shop along with an OBD2 timing cover. My first plan before I built the 383 was a 12:1 396 LT4.

Thanks for the explanation L31Max.. I sent you pvt message, curious if you do engine work for others or just your own stuff?

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you weren't gonna try to run that on pump gas?

revmatcher

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow! I never would have thought that could be pulled off. You get sh*t-n-git with good MPG and not having pour Cam 2 in it. I like it!!

I am right at 11:1 now with traditional cooling system flow. With the heads getting cooled first the LT1s can easily run a point higher compression. The LT1s also have hotter cylinder walls, reducing bore wear with a lower temperature thermostat.

revmatcher

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank for the info revmatcher and my bad, I now recall that you mentioned the link to the headers you bought was gone. Btw, That is one nice Tahoe you have there! What year is it? I'd say you got a helluva deal on it for 7k. And nice breakdown on the cost for your headers/exhaust; I had no idea what this kinda mod would run.

You stated your engine is an LT1; I was under the impression all these trucks had L31's in them... Could you educate me a bit on the difference and which truck had which engine?

So as far as ebay headers I found these and it says they will fit my '97 K-1500 whereas in the ebay the link you posted the heading states 88-95. I'm not really sure what the difference is but for some reason on the compatibility table for the ones on the link you provided it lists a 97 C-1500 but not a K-1500. The table for these does show 97 K-1500. I can't really tell any difference from the pics; maybe it's the same item from different sellers with slightly different descriptions/compatibility tables. They look pretty much identical, both have an O2 port, 1-5/8' primaries, 2.5" collectors, etc.

Like Scooter stated above, I too hate buying stuff from China but at this point there's just not much else to choose from. And for $250 they're pretty hard to beat.

So just that I'm clear on what I'm getting into here; if I put these headers on and they have a port for the O2 sensor then I'm good to go as far as the cats and not getting any codes, right? However there is no provision for EGR and I'll have to have that tuned out, correct? And is the stock blackbox computer capable of tuning out the EGR or will I need to do 411 swap?

Sorry for all the questions I'm new to all this stuff and don't want to go down the wrong hole.
My truck is a 1997 2-door Z71 truck. Yes it was a steal at $7,000. Stock it has 4 separate O2 sensors: one on each pipe just below the manifold, and 2 near the catalytic converter. I'm sure you cant just remove them without throwing all kinds of codes on the stock computer. I have no idea about EGR delete on a stock GM VCM. I don't think a 1998 VCM can be changed at all unless you have dealer software/programmer. I am using FAST XFI/XIM, so I have full control of the computer programming via a windows laptop.

I had a 1993 Blazer 2-door in the 1990s, and that one was not OBD-II, so far simpler computer. Sold it around 2006 for $1500.