Longtube headers for 98 k1500 5.7 vortec??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These fit my Tahoe. The passenger side needs a mild adjustment to the heat shield near the starter, other than that they slid right in.
Are these stainless?

edcoxjr1968

Reaction score
These fit my Tahoe. The passenger side needs a mild adjustment to the heat shield near the starter, other than that they slid right in.
These don't appear to fit '96-'98 K-1500 and OP was looking for recommendations for his '98. I'm in same boat with an all stock but newly rebuilt 5.7 Vortec '97 K-1500. I'm just now learning about computers, tunes, headers, cold air intakes, throttle body spacers, etc for these "newer gen engines" lol. Any recommendations on cheap and easy performance upgrades would be greatly appreciated. I'm just a weekend change-my-own-oil kinda guy but in high-school I did manage to put headers on my '83 Mustang GT (with some help from my friends)!

Does anybody have any thoughts about this setup (other than very expensive):

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These don't appear to fit '96-'98 K-1500 and OP was looking for recommendations for his '98. I'm in same boat with an all stock but newly rebuilt 5.7 Vortec '97 K-1500. I'm just now learning about computers, tunes, headers, cold air intakes, throttle body spacers, etc for these "newer gen engines" lol. Any recommendations on cheap and easy performance upgrades would be greatly appreciated. I'm just a weekend change-my-own-oil kinda guy but in high-school I did manage to put headers on my '83 Mustang GT (with some help from my friends)!

Does anybody have any thoughts about this setup (other than very expensive):

They look like well designed headers. A little straight section at the ports into large radius sweeps and nice a nice transition into the collectors,all good,,,,,,,,,,but the primary tube diameter is a little big for a stock or even mildly cammed motor. Find those same headers with 1-5/8" primary's and you've got a nice set of headers.

edcoxjr1968

Reaction score
Thanks Scooterwrench, even with as little as know now about all this I too thought 1-7/8" primary's would be too big for my stock truck. Unfortunately, as mentioned on another thread, finding long-tube headers for these trucks nowadays is getting difficult. Here's what else I've found:

I'm guessing the Hedmans are more than I need so that pretty much narrows it down to the ebay $250 ones.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those Hedmans won't fit,they're for a T-bucket or open wheel modified race car.
I found these;

Yes the paint will burn off. Build a fire throw them in,when they cool wire brush well and re-coat the VHT paint. They will last for years!

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These don't appear to fit '96-'98 K-1500 and OP was looking for recommendations for his '98. I'm in same boat with an all stock but newly rebuilt 5.7 Vortec '97 K-1500.

Exactly right. The 2 door Tahoe/Yukon and the Suburban have a rear mounted fuel tank, as shown in the pictures.
The pickup and 4 door SUVs have the fuel tank location to consider, as your pics show. And O.P. did not exactly specify pickup, but I think we all assumed...
Also, @revmatcher Where is your front driveshaft, I can plainly see the t-case. How much clearance does the header have around the oil filter? Why doesn't the midpipe line up (in the 2nd pic) with the header?