Longtube headers for 98 k1500 5.7 vortec??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

revmatcher

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exactly right. The 2 door Tahoe/Yukon and the Suburban have a rear mounted fuel tank, as shown in the pictures.
The pickup and 4 door SUVs have the fuel tank location to consider, as your pics show. And O.P. did not exactly specify pickup, but I think we all assumed...
Also, @revmatcher Where is your front driveshaft, I can plainly see the t-case. How much clearance does the header have around the oil filter? Why doesn't the midpipe line up (in the 2nd pic) with the header?
Front driveshaft was out during exhaust build. It's back in there now. Good clearance around the oil filter. Driver's side midpipe has an offset in it, hidden from the camera angle.

revmatcher

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Correct, my LT1 is a swap. It's a Lingenfelter build I bought on racingjunk.com. Curse my brother-in-law for introducing me to that site. Waaay too much sexy racing stuff on there, a fella could go bannkrupt REAL quick! Go see my other thread for more pics and info on the outrageous motor. There are dyno sheets from Lingenfelter that came with it.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is a 1997 2-door Z71 truck. Yes it was a steal at $7,000. Stock it has 4 separate O2 sensors: one on each pipe just below the manifold, and 2 near the catalytic converter. I'm sure you cant just remove them without throwing all kinds of codes on the stock computer. I have no idea about EGR delete on a stock GM VCM. I don't think a 1998 VCM can be changed at all unless you have dealer software/programmer. I am using FAST XFI/XIM, so I have full control of the computer programming via a windows laptop.

I had a 1993 Blazer 2-door in the 1990s, and that one was not OBD-II, so far simpler computer. Sold it around 2006 for $1500.
98+ can be tuned by HP Tuners. Rule of thumb, 96-97 with 5 connectors cannot be programmed without TunerCats OBD2/Jet DSM but the 98+ with 4 connectors can be programmed by both HPTuners and EFI Live.

revmatcher

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The headers are NOT equal length primary tubes. Not even close. Even so, with the 304SS flanges and custom welding I had over $1500 in those alone. Stainlessheaders.com quoted me $3500-$4000 for custom headers and I would have had to trailer my truck to their shop.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The headers are NOT equal length primary tubes. Not even close. Even so, with the 304SS flanges and custom welding I had over $1500 in those alone. Stainlessheaders.com quoted me $3500-$4000 for custom headers and I would have had to trailer my truck to their shop.
It's pretty hard these day to even find equal length headers and when you do find them you will pay dearly for them. You think your crying now,wait till those SS headers start cracking. I remember a local fisherman saved long and hard to get up enough money to put a down payment on a new S-10. It had a 151 with the SS tube manifold. Before he could get it paid off the manifold started cracking. He had it at the dealer twice to get new manifolds put on and when the warranty expired he started bringing it to me to weld up the cracks. That experience taught me to never buy SS headers.