Harsh engage into reverse and drive.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you. Any specific ones that are known for issues?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Just look around the TBI unit to see if there are any loose hoses. None in particular is known for it, just a quick look will save you some time if it a loose hose.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just look around the TBI unit to see if there are any loose hoses. None in particular is known for it, just a quick look will save you some time if it a loose hose.
Is there supposed to be a house on the bottom side of the air cleaner where it goes to meet the throttle body?

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a collar that has a fitting on the back. The hose for that runs to the driver's side valve cover, and is used to allow air into the crankcase. It will not affect the idle. The idle is affected by anything after the throttle plates in the TBI, so vacuum hoses from MAP sensor, purge canister, EGR, and PCV. The throttle body gasket and the intake gaskets can also leak and can be checked with carb cleaner (I believe this method was described already).

retorq

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tube hooked up to the air cleaner base and the valve cover will PULL air from the crank case.

The engine has a skip for sure too, you can hear it on the video. Doesn't sound cammed to me, mine sounds like that and I have the stock TBI cam still. You should figure that skip out for sure though. If the TBI has been modified there it a chance the idle screw was messed with needs to be backed off so the throttle closes all the way.

tom joyce

Reaction score
That engine has a mis-fire. Remove plugs and post a picture of them.
It is not "camed" as you indicate. It also sounds like a slight exhaust leak - check around manifolds and manifold to y pipe connection...If the heads were off this engine, there is a chance crappy doughnut gaskets were used - thus causing a leak.
The throttle set screw should be sealed off by a metal plug cap. It it isn't, then it probably has been messed with. It's a torx 20 screw (I think).
Idle setting has NOTHING to do with gas mileage. It should be no more than 750/800rpm.
If the tach is acting funny, the coil could be failing and/or weak - a common issue is a melted or bad coil wire harness connection, check that connection.
Old spark plug wires that are leaking voltage will cause all sorts of issues with the ignition module and cause a mis-fire. Check for a good spark or if the wires are suspect - just change them.....
Make sure ignition timing is set properly...If not - do so - or you will never get it to idle right....
Make sure the 2 injectors are spraying fuel - instead of dumping/dripping fuel into the intake.

If you have no clue what I am talking about -- buy a repair manual, it will be very helpful....

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I HAD TO CHANGE THE TBI BASE GASKET ON MY 1988 CHEVY PICKUP.SO I DID A REBUILD AND INSTALLED A REBUILD KIT.SOLVED A LOT OF PROBLEMS.THOSE BASE GASKETS GO BAD-SUCKING AIR BIG TIME-YOU CAN NOT TELL THAT THEY ARE BROKE.UNTIL YOU REMOVE THE THROTTLE BODY.AND YOU WILL SEE..BROKEN..GOT MY PARTS.EBAY..THE REBUILD KIT.A COUPLE OF OTHER PARTS AND SOME AMAZON..IF YOU REMOVE IT.SPRAY IT OR DIP IT.IN CARB CLEANER.DO NOT SAND OR SCRAPE WHERE THE FUEL RUNS DOWN IN TO THE TWO

BORES.MAKE THAT ROUGH AND YOU RUIN THE DEAL..THERE IS NO WAY TO MAKE IT RIGHT.YOU HAVE TO BUY ANOTHER ONE USED OR REBUILT..ONE

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IF THE BASE GASKET IS BAD.IT WILL SUCK AIR AND MAKE YOUR ENGINE IDLE CRAZY.THE SCREW THAT HAS THE LITTLE COVER.IS FACTORY SET.YOU CAN DRILL THE LITTLE METAL CAP OUT.BUT IF YOU MAKE THAT GASKET RIGHT.AN D NO OTHER AIR LEAKS.YOU WANT NEED TO ADJUST.IDLE SCREW..

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
uh, yeah, I hear some popping out the exhaust, but it doesn't really sound like 1200rpm either. A good tune up, check for vacuum leaks, check/set timing.

This a new to you truck?

Last edited:

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. It's new to me. When it first started up, it's about 15-16 rpms, and then warmed up drops down.