Harsh engage into reverse and drive.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I see that there is a hose clamp on the rubber hose that attaches to the PCV valve and goes back to the throttle body. This hose does not normally have a clamp on it, so the question is, is this hose getting bad ? you may want to replace the supply hose when you replace the PCV valve. The PCV valve and hose should be maybe $20 or so, Something like that.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't really inspect the hose because it was getting dark and I was finishing replacing spark plugs and happened to notice the PCV valve so I will check it tomorrow.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hear you. I need to replace my exhaust gasket on the drivers side tomorrow. I'm just doing the drivers side, because that is the only side that is leaking. Headers are bad about leaking, so I don't want to make a leak where I don't have one already.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear you. I need to replace my exhaust gasket on the drivers side tomorrow. I'm just doing the drivers side, because that is the only side that is leaking. Headers are bad about leaking, so I don't want to make a leak where I don't have one already.
I still have to replace a bearing, weld the exhaust, finish up some miscellaneous work, and might put headers on yet. It never ends, eh?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's where your PCV valve goes. No wonder it is idling high. You need to buy and install a new PCV valve,,,BAD,,,
PCV valve is on passenger side on the TBI motors. That is the breather, which has nothing to do with vacuum and high idle.

Last edited:

retorq

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. The PCV valve allows air to be pulled from the crankcase, hence the name Positive Crankcase Ventilation. The tube on the collar pulls air from the inside the air cleaner into the crankcase (so it's clean), and has nothing to do with vacuum. Vacuum happens after the throttle plates, not before. Please don't post incorrect information.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/positive-crankcase-ventilation-system.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankcase_ventilation_system

My info is correct ********.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First, name calling is neither necessary nor allowed. Second, your link proves you're wrong: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankcase_ventilation_system#Components_and_details

The PCV (passenger side, front of the valve cover) allows fumes to be drawn (by vacuum) into the intake. The breather (driver's side, rear of the valve cover) allows fresh air into the crankcase to offset the fumes being pulled out. The breather has nothing to do with vacuum. The PCV valve is directly responsible for a vacuum leak if cracked or if the hose is broken, cracked, etc.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One other thing i noticed, is that the truck smells like gas when idling, likes it is running rich, as well. Spark plugs did help with the miss, but is still a little noticeable when first started, so my guess is that timing isnt exactly on.