Harsh engage into reverse and drive.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The tube hooked up to the air cleaner base and the valve cover will PULL air from the crank case.

The engine has a skip for sure too, you can hear it on the video. Doesn't sound cammed to me, mine sounds like that and I have the stock TBI cam still. You should figure that skip out for sure though. If the TBI has been modified there it a chance the idle screw was messed with needs to be backed off so the throttle closes all the way.

No. The PCV valve allows air to be pulled from the crankcase, hence the name Positive Crankcase Ventilation. The tube on the collar pulls air from the inside the air cleaner into the crankcase (so it's clean), and has nothing to do with vacuum. Vacuum happens after the throttle plates, not before. Please don't post incorrect information.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No. The PCV valve allows air to be pulled from the crankcase, hence the name Positive Crankcase Ventilation. The tube on the collar pulls air from the inside the air cleaner into the crankcase (so it's clean), and has nothing to do with vacuum. Vacuum happens after the throttle plates, not before. Please don't post incorrect information.

Guess what happens when you go WOT? No more vacuum, and the crankcase creates pressure. This pressure is drawn in by the tube at the base of the air cleaner.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So Um. That tubes that runs into the valve cover from the tbi. The end is cracked and came off easy.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's where your PCV valve goes. No wonder it is idling high. You need to buy and install a new PCV valve,,,BAD,,,

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha. Thank you. I was surprised when I pulled the house. Glad we "hopefully" figured it out

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is a pic of what your PCV valve should look like. The bottom half of your is missing, and someone just stuck the the top half without the spring and bottom half of the valve. So all you have is just a open vacuum line sucking, and that is why the idle is high. You need to replace thee PCV valve ASAP

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Or is the bottom half still in the valve cover ? ether way you need a new PCV valve ASAP. Once you replace the valve, the idle should go back to normal, and also should stop the hard shift into gear from park or N.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah. The bottom half is still in the valve cover.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
May I ask why that would cause a hard shift?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The hard shift is because of the high idle. Once you replace the PCV valve, the idle should go back to normal, and this should stop the hard shift. The engine is getting to much air, this will also cause the engine to get to much fuel, for it to idle like it should. It is the same affect as holding the gas peddle down a little bit, and because of this the RPMs is high. When you try to shift into gear, the transmission and torque converter is engaging under force ( because of the high idle). The torque converter allows the engine to idle with out the trans being engaged. As you press the gas peddle, the torque converter spins faster and this force engages the transmission, more or less, to put it simple.