Ground strap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Another way to explain it: the rear of the passenger cylinder head, and a spot on top of the frame behind the passenger upper control arm, both have ground straps that connect at the same stud on the firewall - just under where the heater hoses go through.

Richard

trying to explain what i was in a much easier fashion. somedays i struggle with words.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
:gr_grin: Well it's just one of those things that is really simple when you know what it's supposed to look like, but putting it into words for someone else can be tricky, when theirs is missing/messed up.

Richard

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since we are talking about ground straps. Are there only two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So both bolt to the frame and 1 goes to just under the heater hose and the other to the back of the motor?

nortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did but it says they both go to. The firewall

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Since we are talking about ground straps. Are there only two?

There's many more all over the truck, but if you're talking just engine compartment, there's also a small one off the battery negative cable to the inside wall of the passenger fender (right next to the battery), one on each side of the core support near the headlights but facing the engine side (grounds for each side of the front lamp harness), and several on the engine - number and exact location vary depending on year and engine. For example, most of the TBI's have several attached on one of the thermostat housing bolts and next to that on one of the intake bolts.

Richard

nortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kinda hard to see here but they wouldn't both go tonthe firewall from the frame. I would assume one tonthe firewall one to the block.
You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I did but it says they both go to. The firewall

That's right, they both connect at the same spot on the firewall. One goes from the frame to the firewall. The other goes from the rear of the passenger side cylinder head to the firewall. Same stud on the firewall for both.

Edit - for some reason looks like you have two straps bolted onto the frame. Either a factory variation or someone put them on incorrectly a long time ago. Bottom line is you're attaching them the way I described earlier so that the engine, body, and frame are all connected.

Richard