GrimsterGMCs Kiwi1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well today was one of my more successful ones. I started with replacing the belt tensioner that I discovered to be leaning on a drunken angle when I swapped the fan blade last weekend. I always try to start with an easy one so I get a positive vibe going. Next was replacing the original steering shaft and rag joint with the upgraded one from Cunningham Machine.
You must be registered for see images attach

This would have been a nice straight swap except that the original factory joint at the base of the steering column had been such a loose fit that the steering column end had burred up and needed a bit of filing to accept the new shaft. Not an easy job when you are kneeling on the radiator support panel and leaning with one hand on the air filter housing and trying to file with the other hand while it is 28*C in the shade. Finally got there and it fitted like a glove. Hat tip to Cunningham Machine for a quality product. As a side note if you need to disconnect your steering and don't want to have to re-calibrate the steering wheel angle afterwards just run some masking tape around the steering column and onto the steering wheel to keep it from rotating while it's all disconnected.

I have had a valve on the fuel line that I could hook up a pressure gauge to if I wanted to check the pressure but since I have the EBL Flash ECU I can have 6 different inputs to show up on data logging sessions. Since I couldn't get the one piece fitting I had to go with a 4 piece combo that while a tight fit worked out fairly good. I checked the fuel pressure with the old gauge before I changed the fittings over so that I could compare the new reading. It was just as well that I did this now since I found the fuel line had come loose and was only finger tight into the TBI and started leaking while I tested it.

All that's needed now is the wiring but I am adding an IAT sensor into the air filter housing so I will do that all at the same time. So that was 3 jobs off of the list and if I keep going at this rate I might be finished by Xmas. :cool:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not an easy job when you are kneeling on the radiator support panel and leaning with one hand on the air filter housing and trying to file with the other hand while it is 28*C in the shade.
I don't get you cold climate guys. That's 82*F, prime wrenching weather! Wear a t-shirt, shorts, and a pair of Vans and get to slammin' parts in place! I can't wait for this 40*F (4*C) crap to end.

Nice work!

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I don't get you cold climate guys. That's 82*F, prime wrenching weather! Wear a t-shirt, shorts, and a pair of Vans and get to slammin' parts in place! I can't wait for this 40*F (4*C) crap to end.

Nice work!
82*F isn't bad, also not pleasant. Give me sunny and 70*F then I'll be happy.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nice work!
The biggest problem is the truck is a dark colour so it heats up way past the ambient temperature and every panel you touch wants to scorch you. And the bonnet is like a giant heater radiating down on you when you are working in the engine bay.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well today was one of my more successful ones. I started with replacing the belt tensioner that I discovered to be leaning on a drunken angle when I swapped the fan blade last weekend. I always try to start with an easy one so I get a positive vibe going. Next was replacing the original steering shaft and rag joint with the upgraded one from Cunningham Machine.

This would have been a nice straight swap except that the original factory joint at the base of the steering column had been such a loose fit that the steering column end had burred up and needed a bit of filing to accept the new shaft. Not an easy job when you are kneeling on the radiator support panel and leaning with one hand on the air filter housing and trying to file with the other hand while it is 28*C in the shade. Finally got there and it fitted like a glove. Hat tip to Cunningham Machine for a quality product. As a side note if you need to disconnect your steering and don't want to have to re-calibrate the steering wheel angle afterwards just run some masking tape around the steering column and onto the steering wheel to keep it from rotating while it's all disconnected.

I have had a valve on the fuel line that I could hook up a pressure gauge to if I wanted to check the pressure but since I have the EBL Flash ECU I can have 6 different inputs to show up on data logging sessions. Since I couldn't get the one piece fitting I had to go with a 4 piece combo that while a tight fit worked out fairly good. I checked the fuel pressure with the old gauge before I changed the fittings over so that I could compare the new reading. It was just as well that I did this now since I found the fuel line had come loose and was only finger tight into the TBI and started leaking while I tested it.

All that's needed now is the wiring but I am adding an IAT sensor into the air filter housing so I will do that all at the same time. So that was 3 jobs off of the list and if I keep going at this rate I might be finished by Xmas. :cool:
Well, I took the truck for a good drive today and have to say I am very happy with the @Cunningham Machine steering shaft upgrade. It wasn't so much the rag joint that was causing play as it was the pressed steel knuckle at the base of the steering column that was loose. So much more positive steering now, the only play left is in the tilt column universal joint but you would hardly notice it so I am not diving down that rabbit hole.