Grandpa's 1995 C1500 Reborn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
You are correct, fuel pressure should be between 9 and 13 psi. Also check the pressure when you give it gas

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
You are correct, fuel pressure should be between 9 and 13 psi. Also check the pressure when you give it gas
So 9-13 while running. What pressure am I looking for on start up and when giving it gas?

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Make sure it holds that pressure during start up and with the gas pedal

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Tested multiple sensors today trying to figure out my stumble when taking off from a stop/bucking at low (<1500 rpm)/struggling to run occasionally/acting like it wants to die especially in reverse and backing up hill issue. TPS tested good, o2 sensor read between 0.03 and 0.79 v. Map sensor read []. So o2 and map sensor seem to be a good place to start. 02 should be between 0.4 and 0.6 volts. map sensor should be []. I've already replaced the fuel filter and aircleaner. If that doesn't fix the issue, I'll test fuel pressure (I have a gauge laying around waiting to be installed, I'm just so damn busy... lazy?) and the egr system.

Also noticed a small pop when coming to a stop. thinking it might be brake related (knowing my luck), I pulled the wheels off and cleaned and adjusted the rear brakes. Front seemed fine as well. Inspecting the front end I noticed my driver side tierod had a lot of play in it. Ordered a new inner/outer/sleeve for the driver side. Going to need a new alignment with that one too :suicide:

My wiper fluid nozzles haven't worked in a while either. Starting messing with that today and the pump sounds awful. Weak pump is my guess. Also realized it's leaking from the pump too... so... yeah.

I have a howling noise around 50 mph that I suspect is wheel bearings. I'll replace the fronts since they're cheap and easy. Rears I'm not touching. There is, in my opinion, excessive play in the rear end. I'd put money on a rear end rebuild in the not so distant future... aka... junkyard rear end.

Also have a clunk when going into gear as well as when I let off the accelerator, especially on the highway. New u joints and a center support bearing are on the list too....

Gah damn... did I miss anything?

Oh yeah, the AC doesn't work. It stopped working a couple years ago, finally got off my ass and took it to a shop and it was a whopping $120 to fix a leaking seal and recharge the system. Fast forward a week or two later and the compressor was cycling on and off every ~5 seconds or so. Every time it did, the rpms would fluctuate (<-- introducing a load so it's normal). However, when it started happening every 2 seconds or less (not more,2 seconds max), it gave the truck a bad idle with the AC on. So that needs to be addressed.

That's every issue the truck has.... that needs to be addressed in the near future. I've got a laundry list of other **** that I would like to get done and that need attention but are not nearly as important as what I listed above.

If anyone has any insight, even "my brothers' bestfriend's, uncle's cousin Tommy has a pen pal that said...", I'd love to hear it. I'm mainly just updating my thread.

:banghead:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tested multiple sensors today trying to figure out my stumble when taking off from a stop/bucking at low (<1500 rpm)/struggling to run occasionally/acting like it wants to die especially in reverse and backing up hill issue. TPS tested good, o2 sensor read between 0.03 and 0.79 v. Map sensor read []. So o2 and map sensor seem to be a good place to start. 02 should be between 0.4 and 0.6 volts. map sensor should be []. I've already replaced the fuel filter and aircleaner. If that doesn't fix the issue, I'll test fuel pressure (I have a gauge laying around waiting to be installed, I'm just so damn busy... lazy?) and the egr system.

Also noticed a small pop when coming to a stop. thinking it might be brake related (knowing my luck), I pulled the wheels off and cleaned and adjusted the rear brakes. Front seemed fine as well. Inspecting the front end I noticed my driver side tierod had a lot of play in it. Ordered a new inner/outer/sleeve for the driver side. Going to need a new alignment with that one too :suicide:

My wiper fluid nozzles haven't worked in a while either. Starting messing with that today and the pump sounds awful. Weak pump is my guess. Also realized it's leaking from the pump too... so... yeah.

I have a howling noise around 50 mph that I suspect is wheel bearings. I'll replace the fronts since they're cheap and easy. Rears I'm not touching. There is, in my opinion, excessive play in the rear end. I'd put money on a rear end rebuild in the not so distant future... aka... junkyard rear end.

Also have a clunk when going into gear as well as when I let off the accelerator, especially on the highway. New u joints and a center support bearing are on the list too....

Gah damn... did I miss anything?

Oh yeah, the AC doesn't work. It stopped working a couple years ago, finally got off my ass and took it to a shop and it was a whopping $120 to fix a leaking seal and recharge the system. Fast forward a week or two later and the compressor was cycling on and off every ~5 seconds or so. Every time it did, the rpms would fluctuate (<-- introducing a load so it's normal). However, when it started happening every 2 seconds or less (not more,2 seconds max), it gave the truck a bad idle with the AC on. So that needs to be addressed.

That's every issue the truck has.... that needs to be addressed in the near future. I've got a laundry list of other **** that I would like to get done and that need attention but are not nearly as important as what I listed above.

If anyone has any insight, even "my brothers' bestfriend's, uncle's cousin Tommy has a pen pal that said...", I'd love to hear it. I'm mainly just updating my thread.

:banghead:
Check you distributor cap for issues regarding the stumbling. The ac is short cycling from low freon.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Check you distributor cap for issues regarding the stumbling. The ac is short cycling from low freon.
Ah yeah, I forgot about the dist cap. I remember reading about that. I'll check that out too.

That's what I figured. I had just had the AC fixed when I noticed the issue. Before it went out the first time, I didn't have any problem with it. I saw some things about overcharged systems thinking maybe an incompetent tech (like me if I had tried to recharge my AC lol) overcharged the system leading to my issues. I had planned on taking it back to the shop for the AC anyway. I'm sure it's got some kind of warranty on it.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
The clunking sounds like u joints so I would check those for play.

Check spark plugs too, it only takes a small amount of time to check them and no cost involved

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
The clunking sounds like u joints so I would check those for play.

Check spark plugs too, it only takes a small amount of time to check them and no cost involved

I know for a fact at least one u joint is completely worn out. When I replaced the rear axle with a 14 bolt, I had to install a conversion u joint. Anyway, the end of the driveshaft that has the yoke for the center support bearing had zero rigidity. It literally flopped all over the place. I was dumb and didn't replace it while I had the driveshaft out. I'm sure the one by the transmission is bad too. I'd be willing to bet they have 147,000 miles on them. I've never seen a receipt for ujoints on this truck so it's time either way.

I guess that couldn't hurt. They do have 47000 miles on them now.

Reaper93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I know this isn’t the place but I can’t find anything on the search bar. Will 24” wheels fit a stock height 1993 Chevy suburban c1500, as of now it has 235/75r15