GMT400 4L60e to T56 swap write up *dialup warning*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to piece together all the necessity's to do this swap and contemplating the clutch set up. I want something that will hold up to about 400hp, plus a stock or little stiffer than stock feel. I am on a budget too, plus i will also need the flywheel, throwout bearings, slave cylinder, etc.
So far i have the clutch pedal and transmission.
I was thinking a Zoom HP700, Ram PowerGrip, or Mcleod Street Pro. Any pros, cons, or suggestions are welcome!!
Also i've read on Z28 type forums that all the aftermarket clutch pressure plates are all made by Valeo and that they are the LT4 type. The idea behind getting one of these is buying a lifetime clutch setup from Autozone/Oreilly's, etc. and just simply buying a replacement clutch disc from the bigger names. Thoughts on this?!

Also i was looking to either get a stock flywheel or a billet steel. Any pros in spending the extra cash for the billet and any suggestion on brand?
I want to do this swap this fall/winter.

I've heard about the valeo PP stuff, I'm sure you could go that route without a problem as long as you get a good disc. I haven't tried most of those clutch setups you mentioned, but I have tried the disc from the mcleod, I was not impressed with it. it was very chattery and produced a good amount of dust compared to the spec discs I've ran. it might be better if you use it with their PP setup, but personally, I didn't like the disc much at all.

I don't know how much gain you'd get from a stock vs a steel flywheel. I run a billit steel one and I like it, but the main reason I got it was convinience since T56's out here are few and far between, so I couldn't find a stock flywheel to save my life.

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i read through this whole thread and there is alot of good info for clutch selection...http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520404

Also i was thinking of the spec 3 clutch, but evidently if you plan on about 350rwhp or so it would be a good idea to get the spec 4. I still havn't decided yet I would like to hear from someone with the Zoom set up because i am seriously thinking of the Zoom or SLP PP with a zoom disc or centerforce disc.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i read through this whole thread and there is alot of good info for clutch selection...http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520404

Also i was thinking of the spec 3 clutch, but evidently if you plan on about 350rwhp or so it would be a good idea to get the spec 4. I still havn't decided yet I would like to hear from someone with the Zoom set up because i am seriously thinking of the Zoom or SLP PP with a zoom disc or centerforce disc.

my stage 3 has been just fine and though I don't know how much HP I'm running, its a good amount. I would probably recommend 3+, which is the same material as the 3, but fully faced, thats what I'm going with next time, though that might not be for a while. it may be hard finiding feedback on the zoom, but if you find some, let us know. I'd be interested in any feedback on whatever clutches are out there for us.

Poser

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just thought I would point out that I joined this site because of this sticky.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just thought I would point out that I joined this site because of this sticky.

right on :boti:
glad you like it. welcome!

I also wanted to mention that I'm thinking of re-writing it in a more organized manner and posting it on my personal site (this thread will stay as it is). I'll throw the link up when I've got it done for anyone interested in that, I just never could get it looking as clean as I wanted in a forum setting.

Poser

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
right on :boti:
glad you like it. welcome!

I also wanted to mention that I'm thinking of re-writing it in a more organized manner and posting it on my personal site (this thread will stay as it is). I'll throw the link up when I've got it done for anyone interested in that, I just never could get it looking as clean as I wanted in a forum setting.

I'd like to see that when it's done. I never knew exactly where the shift would come out in the floor on mine, as well as a few other details, and I think this swap might have to take place in my garage soon ;) it doesn't seem as involved as I thought it would be.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see that when it's done. I never knew exactly where the shift would come out in the floor on mine, as well as a few other details, and I think this swap might have to take place in my garage soon ;) it doesn't seem as involved as I thought it would be.

yeah, I'll put the link up when I have the other version finished, but it probably won't be for a little while.

since I rebuilt it myself, that was harder than the actual swap IMO.

the hardest part of the swap for me was removing the 4L60e, but thats mainly because I had never removed it before, and I had to do it alone (and that SOB is HEAVY compared to the T56)...I've had the T56 out a couple times since then, and I can R&R it to swap clutches or whatever in a few hours by myself. next time I do something I think I'm going to try the Weir slave and a regular push type clutch setup. hopefully that won't be for a while though.

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I started the swap last week, and should be returning to it this weekend. I was going to start a thread on PPE, but just havn't had time. I have the clutch pedal assembly in, turns out there are 3 setups. I originally bought the 92 model like aloicious did thinking his is a 96 model and mine is a 99 so it should work...Nope. But luckily the guy i bought the t56 from sent me an extra for the swap and it wound up being the right one. The correct pedal assembly for a 99 chevy tahoe is a 98 chevy truck set up. Man drilling that hole was a PITA, there is little room to work with but finally wound up using a 3/4" unibit w/ angle air drill to drill the 3/4" hole. Then used and old "knock out set" of my dad's to get the hole about 1 5/8s, then using a grinding stone bit and the angle drill i finished the hole at 1 3/4 or so. The pedal assembly from start to finish took about 4 hrs or so. But i did have the one pretapped hole and stud to mount the pedal bracket which was really nice!

I almost have the 4lpos60e out and will be hopefully finishing up the mechanics part of the job by the end of the weekend.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started the swap last week, and should be returning to it this weekend. I was going to start a thread on PPE, but just havn't had time. I have the clutch pedal assembly in, turns out there are 3 setups. I originally bought the 92 model like aloicious did thinking his is a 96 model and mine is a 99 so it should work...Nope. But luckily the guy i bought the t56 from sent me an extra for the swap and it wound up being the right one. The correct pedal assembly for a 99 chevy tahoe is a 98 chevy truck set up. Man drilling that hole was a PITA, there is little room to work with but finally wound up using a 3/4" unibit w/ angle air drill to drill the 3/4" hole. Then used and old "knock out set" of my dad's to get the hole about 1 5/8s, then using a grinding stone bit and the angle drill i finished the hole at 1 3/4 or so. The pedal assembly from start to finish took about 4 hrs or so. But i did have the one pretapped hole and stud to mount the pedal bracket which was really nice!

I almost have the 4lpos60e out and will be hopefully finishing up the mechanics part of the job by the end of the weekend.

what was different about your pedal assembly vs the '92 one?

let us know how it turns out.