GMT400 4L60e to T56 swap write up *dialup warning*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KennyB01

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
got another shifter and did it just like Aloicious did his, still have some problems with reverse but every thing else works good, got my computer back now i need to get my 410 rear in, i still have the stock rear which has 342 i am guessing. the reverse lock out is bad i hope i can get a new one. other than that it feels good to shift when you want to.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what is wrong with reverse, and what makes you think the lockout is bad?

KennyB01

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i took the solenoid and hooked it to the positive and negitive side of the battery and it just hums. the one at my freinds house pulls in when we do the same thing to his. and my reverse is strange, some times it goes into gear perfect and some times if i do not hold it up in reverse it will clunk out of gear and some times it will clunk into gear. if i let the cluch out slow it is not that bad, i thought it was because of the way i had modified the shifter but i got another one and done it up like you did and evrything worked out except for reverse. i am going to take it apart (take the shifter back off) next time i am off and see if it is actually see if i can get it to engage in to reverse. the trans. was gone through by tick performance, so i would guess it is not nothing eternal. but if you have any ideas let me know, this is the first top loader i have ever owned, so i am lost. thanks

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm...what kind of fluid are you using in it?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm, I'm not sure, if its popping out of gear, there's 2 main issues usually, either something is up with your synchro inside the trans and its not engaging it all the way, or something is up with your shifter and its not moving the rail enough to engage it. you could call up tick and talk to them, they'll know more about stuff like that than I would.

KennyB01

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well it is the shifter, i put that POS one in that came with the relocation kit and it went in to gear, i was using the TRI AX shifter, so i guess i will be looking for a PRO5, i would have thought any shifter for a 03-04 cobra t56 would have worked. o well

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah I would have thought the same thing, thats odd. but at least you have it figured out and its not anything interior to the trans.

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trying to piece together all the necessity's to do this swap and contemplating the clutch set up. I want something that will hold up to about 400hp, plus a stock or little stiffer than stock feel. I am on a budget too, plus i will also need the flywheel, throwout bearings, slave cylinder, etc.
So far i have the clutch pedal and transmission.
I was thinking a Zoom HP700, Ram PowerGrip, or Mcleod Street Pro. Any pros, cons, or suggestions are welcome!!
Also i've read on Z28 type forums that all the aftermarket clutch pressure plates are all made by Valeo and that they are the LT4 type. The idea behind getting one of these is buying a lifetime clutch setup from Autozone/Oreilly's, etc. and just simply buying a replacement clutch disc from the bigger names. Thoughts on this?!

Also i was looking to either get a stock flywheel or a billet steel. Any pros in spending the extra cash for the billet and any suggestion on brand?
I want to do this swap this fall/winter.