GMT400 4L60e to T56 swap write up *dialup warning*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
difference in pedals

This is the 92 clutch pedal assembly and what Aloicious is using in his 96
You must be registered for see images attach

This is the 98 clutch pedal assembly and what fit in my 99 Tahoe

These are pics of the 98 assembly mounted in my Tahoe

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow, that is quite a bit different, I'd never seen a '98 one before. thanks for the pics.

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this what your brake pedal looked like?

Looks stock, can't wait to get it finished.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, you just cut it down to fit the smaller pedal pad right? thats just what mine looks like, once you get the pad on there you'd never know the pedal was cut down.

looking forward to hearing how the trans install goes, keep us updated.

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pic of the mounting stud and pre tapped hole the pedal assembly mounted to under the dash

you can see the nut on the stud in the top right hand corner of the pic

RSTahoe99

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Made a little more progress over the weekend, hole is in the floor board, old transmission is out, and the pilot bushing is in. I was reading my clutch kit instructions, I went with the Zoom Kevlar set up. The instructions are saying line up with the X on the flywheel. I bought a used flywheel, cleaned it up myself and had it resurfaced, so needless to say no X. Does anyone know what it signified?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its got to be for aligning the balance on the PP with the balance on the flywheel. lots of kits are independant (i.e. the PP doesnt need any specific orientation to the Flywheel), but it sounds like yours might be, have a good machine shop check the balance and if needed, re-balance it and add alignment marks.

let us know how you like that zoom clutch once you get 'er running too.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey guys, so I did a little updated and revised version of my writeup and posted it up on my own personal site here:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/t56.html

alot of it is the same as this write up, but I just trimmed some fat, and updated it with some of the additional info from this thread and a couple other places.
feel free to check it out.

Last edited:

redgmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a 96 gmc with five speed i recently fouled up majorly lol and was wanting to do the t56 swap but havent found any thing saying the gains from it what are the gains of the t 56 over the stock 5 speed?

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Off the top of my head....Pros; It is a close ratio box. It shifts much smoother and faster. It is a much stronger tranny than the 3500. It is much more efficient and /or less losses than most manual trannys. It has two overdrives so that when you get through banging gears you can cruise at fairly high speeds comfortably and efficiently. The shifter location can be tailored to where you want it.

Cons; You need to change your rearend gears to take full advantage of it. Shifter may not be where you want it stock. Your facial muscles might cramp up from grinning all the time.