GMT400 4L60e to T56 swap write up *dialup warning*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never had a 5 speed, so I can't tell you from experience, but basically what ccreddell said.

redgmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah i am goin to have to change the clutch style right? and was wondering if had to change flywheel? i am seriouse in wanting to do this i am looking for a trans now i wrecked my vette today so dont have anything to play with lol

also i have 3.42 gears what gears would i need to swap to for the t56 seeing it has much taller gear than the 5 speed

Last edited:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah i am goin to have to change the clutch style right? and was wondering if had to change flywheel? i am seriouse in wanting to do this i am looking for a trans now i wrecked my vette today so dont have anything to play with lol

also i have 3.42 gears what gears would i need to swap to for the t56 seeing it has much taller gear than the 5 speed

yes you'll need to change the slave cylinder, flywheel, and starter as well as all the trans stuff like the bellhousing, and I'm not overly familiar with the 5 speeds but you might need driveline modifications, and possibly a different yoke.

The consensus seems to be in the 4:10-4:88 range.........

I'd do either 4.56-4.88 if you're on stock tires. I wouldn't go any higher gear (lower numerically) than 4.56. 4.88's are great on mine with 29" tires, but what will work best will depend alot on your own setup. IMO 4.10's aren't enough unless you live in an extremely flat area. 6th gear was almost unusable with my original 3.73's.

BigRedChvy355

Reaction score
I'll tell you from experience that 3.73s feel like a turd out of the hole on a 28" tires, 6th gear turns about 1250rpms, but that is the only "plus" to it if you could call it that. I'm switching to 4.56s in a few weeks so I hope it'll feel like ***** ape once again.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2 3.73 are usable but poor. I'd only run 4.56-4.88 on 29" (stock) tires larger tires will require lower gears, 5.13s or more.

Joe980

Reaction score
Hey do you kno what flywheel and clutch i can use for a 96 lt1 to t5?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure with a T5, I'm using a steel spec LT1 flywheel with my T56.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Where do you guys find these trannys? im dying to have one now that ive been reading lots about it . I just bought a honda accord with the 5 speed, and now driving me Chevy, i feel bored with all the power in the gas pedal only, id love to shift! Im from ontario, NO LUCK finding these trannys ! Anyone know? going to be looking for one soon, within the next month or so

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they're hard to find around here too, you might get lucky in a junkyard and find one, or at local swap meets or classifieds. but you can look online, lots of like fbody forums have guys selling them, and they're not too bad to ship.