GMT400 4L60e to T56 swap write up *dialup warning*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
im about to do something like this but swaping my 5.0 tbi 5 speed truck and puting in everthing from a 96 tahoe 5.7 vortec, into my 92 k1500 when i take the harness out of the tahoe i can just get rid of that round plug for the auto trans and the wires that run to it right? and by pass the nutral safty thats on the trans

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you should be able to remove most, or all of them. I don't work with the TBI's and they can be a bit different, but for the vortecs, there are a few wires from the trans harness that will be used, like for the starter control wires for the clutch pedal position switch. you might want to find a wiring diagram for your year and verify the wires you're removing first...

here is my wiring diagram repository, I don't know if I have the correct one, but you're welcome to look around it and see if anything helps:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/wiringdiagrams/wiringdiagrams.html

GMT454

Reaction score
Guys, what about a coupling the T-56 to a carbureted 454?? I have a '98 manual 4 spd silverado and I would like to swap T56 in I heard that the drive shaft on manual 4spds differ in lenght, my truck does not have any electronics anymore my engine older.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys, what about a coupling the T-56 to a carbureted 454?? I have a '98 manual 4 spd silverado and I would like to swap T56 in I heard that the drive shaft on manual 4spds differ in lenght, my truck does not have any electronics anymore my engine older.

There are speedo converters. Or you can run an electric aftermarket speedo. If you have a '98, you could interface the T56 to the OEM speedo.

No other electronics 'needed' to do the install. The trans will function just fine without the reverse lockout or the skip shift solenoid. They are not required.

I had a new driveshaft made when I went from a TH400 to a T56 in my 454SS. I believe it needed to be longer.

GMT454

Reaction score
There are speedo converters. Or you can run an electric aftermarket speedo. If you have a '98, you could interface the T56 to the OEM speedo.

No other electronics 'needed' to do the install. The trans will function just fine without the reverse lockout or the skip shift solenoid. They are not required.

I had a new driveshaft made when I went from a TH400 to a T56 in my 454SS. I believe it needed to be longer.

This sounds great dude, there is a strange thing I'll share with you guys my truck is a C1500 assembled in Fortwayne for the Mexican market, so it equipped the 4.1L I6 TBI engine originally coupled to a Tremec 4 speed manual transmission, I saw this when got it down but the data on it corresponds normally yo 5 spdrs. this is shy I asked for the driveshaft lenght. I'll post some pics soon (body & engine), let me check the speedo on it and if I can get a pic of the tranny and some of the plate info.

GMT454

Reaction score
This sounds great dude, there is a strange thing I'll share with you guys my truck is a C1500 assembled in Fortwayne for the Mexican market, so it equipped the 4.1L I6 TBI engine originally coupled to a Tremec 4 speed manual transmission, I saw this when got it down but the data on it corresponds normally yo 5 spdrs. this is shy I asked for the driveshaft lenght. I'll post some pics soon (body & engine), let me check the speedo on it and if I can get a pic of the tranny and some of the plate info.

I guess it would be easier to get a driveshaft from an automatic (4L60/TH700R4) what do you think? I might have to check the spline for the clutch also.

GMT454

Reaction score
I may get a T56 from a '97 Firebird, fot about $250 what do you think of the price?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a decent price for a core, I wouldn't expect one to be in great usable shape for $250.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Kinda wonder what would need to be done to do this conversion on a GMT800....Truck in question is an '01 Silverado RCLB with the 4.3 Vortec. However....That being said i know where i could lay hands on a 5.3 from an '03 pickup....Im having evil thoughts of an 5.3 LS with a T56 in the '01 lol