GMT400 4L60e to T56 swap write up *dialup warning*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine came from a 94. I just did some more searching in the EPC. As it turns out, the two styles are 88-95 and 96-98. The earlier style (the one that my pedal and both of yours are) are the early style. Style 90'Rado has is the 96+ style. To me it makes sense since 96+ are vortec motored trucks and something under dash must have changed enough to need the space.....

Judging by the EPC, 95's were to have the newer bracket but probably didn't for some reason or another.... or it was possibly a running year change? I'm not sure. I'm still trying to track down the 88-95 clutch bracket part number to confirm, but it has been discontinued.

I was referring to 'rado's bracket being from an '88, I think thats what he said his was pulled from. all my work was done on my '96. and the '92 pedal barely fit, I would doubt that all the extra material like 'rado's has would work under there. his bracket really doesn't look simmilar to the 96+ one in that diagram either. his bracket is kindof a mystery.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I see. Well it's entirely possible that it's earlier. As far the EPC goes, they list the "CK Clutch Linkage and Pedal" as 88-91, 92-94, 95, 96-97, and 98-00. The pictures in it aren't always accurate (sometimes they were drawn later or are too generic or picture the wrong item etc) so we can only speculate from that. Now, I have confirmed that 96-97 and 98-00 are the same bracket through part numbers, and that it is different than the 88-91, 92-94 and 95 parts, which I am unable to find part numbers for as they have been discontinued.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Ok, so I got a hold of the discoed part numbers.... and here is the breakdown, according to the GM EPC. I checked through each year to make sure I didn't miss anything.

88-94: 15679661
95: 15714315
96-00: 15030123

I know mine is from a 94, so it's the first style. I have no idea why 95 is it's own part number Aloicious, but I'd be willing to bet the bracket you pulled from that 95 was possibly built in 94.... And 90'Rado, I would think your pedal bracket is from a 96+....

Of course, I could be wrong.... but part numbers usually don't lie.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I got a hold of the discoed part numbers.... and here is the breakdown, according to the GM EPC. I checked through each year to make sure I didn't miss anything.

88-94: 15679661
95: 15714315
96-00: 15030123

I know mine is from a 94, so it's the first style. I have no idea why 95 is it's own part number Aloicious, but I'd be willing to bet the bracket you pulled from that 95 was possibly built in 94.... And 90'Rado, I would think your pedal bracket is from a 96+....

Of course, I could be wrong.... but part numbers usually don't lie.

yeah I don't know, some of us discussed this over on the FSC forum, and I just ended up saying that if the pedal bracket looks like the pictures of the brackets you or I used, it should work.

Greg said:
Taken care of.

Thanks again Greg!

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds reasonable enough. I'm not sure why there are different brackets but at least the mounts are the same.

yeah, me neither. though I still need to get the little bracket for the pedal position cruise switch like you have. I have to be carefull using the cruise control, if I push the pedal in it'll just rev up to the limiter. luckily I have only forgotten once and was able to hit the brakes to disable the cruise before it got close to the RPM limit.

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you pulled yours out of a '88 right?

I have no idea what year truck mine came out of, the truck I got it from was nearly completely stripped. So, there were no visual cues or other obvious ways for me to tell whether it was an 88-94 or 95+ That plus I don't really remember much about the truck I pulled it from. I guess 88GMC is saying it's 96+?

As far as mounting the bracket, I'm not doubting whether or not welding it would work by any means, I just feel that the using the mount is a better option. I agree it can be welded in (and probably stronger if you weld enough) but I'm sure it was bolted in for a reason. Plus in cases like this, I like keeping things along the lines of factory.

I'm just saying that whether a person uses the upper bracket or not is inconsequential. If you use the bracket, OR, skip it entirely, it will be more than strong enough EITHER way. In the case of this upper bracket, I don't think there is a "better" option, you've just got to make do with what you have. Probably the number one reason it was bolted in is b/c it is cheaper than welding it in. Also, an unskilled worker can put it together with the most basic of hand-tools and without any specialized skills like welding which would invariably increase the cost of producing every vehicle. If GM can save a fraction of a cent by bolting something in rather than welding it in, it will probably be bolted in. As far as factory, it will never be seen so something like that doesn't make any difference to me.

About the different clutch pedal brackets, I would think that any OBS clutch bracket will work in any OBS, though I don't know for sure. I just had to do a little trimming on mine to get rid of the extra material which stuck out way beyond the dash and didn't do anything (in a '90 at least). Trimming this stuff off didn't affect it's strength either b/c it was just floating out there anyways.

Last edited:

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Yeah, your bracket had to have came from a 96+ then, since it is WAY different than the ones we have seen from a 92, 94 and 95.

What I think is interesting about your argument on welding VS bolting the bracket in, is the mount itself is welded in. IMO there has to be a reason it was bolted in, otherwise why wouldn't they have just welded it in to begin with? From a cost perspective, it probably would have been cheaper all together to skip the mount and weld the bracket to the truck in the first place, no? They are already welding the bracket in, which is an additional piece GM designed and requires hardware to mount it as well. It just seems there must be some service reason that it comes apart the way it does, idk.