GMT400 4L60e to T56 swap write up *dialup warning*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KennyB01

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a NV3500 flywheel off of a 98 5.0 1500 the reason i was wondering, but your right that is a 168 tooth wheel and the bell housing will not even come close to going around the wheel, then like you said even if that worked, the preasure plate would have to work too.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Very nice writeup. I did a swap from a 700R4 to a NV4500 and it's was pretty much the same process. Gm was smart and kept the lengths the same there as well.

I would like to note that the upper mount (where you bolt to) for the clutch pedal bracket is already there for 95+ GMT400 trucks. The earlier trucks didn't have the mount, but it can be bought at the dealership and welded in. And as far as I know, the pedal and bracket is the same, no matter the year.

BigRedChvy355

Reaction score
I had a 96 Sierra that was a 5 spd and my brother rolled it so I robbed the pedals out of it.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
The pedal and brackets are NOT the same across years. The one I have is earlier style I believe, and it IS different than the one Aloicious ended up using. Mine had alot of extra material that stuck out into the ducting for the driverside air vent, it had to be trimmed off.

There really is no reason to buy the upper clutch mount piece if you have an earlier truck that didn't originally come equipped with it like all the 95+ apparently did. You can simply skip the upper mounting piece and just weld the clutch pedal bracket itself to the metal superstructure of the cab behind the plastic dash. It will never been seen, and does not affect the pedal geometry, or strength in any way whatsoever so there is really no reason to shell out the cash.

Well, I went through the EPC and indeed, the pedal brackets are different between 88-94 and 95-98.

My pedal VS Aloicious. In these picts they look damn similar to me. Maybe the angles are playing with my mind but I'd say his pict is of an earlier setup, no?
You must be registered for see images attach

88-94 VS 95-98 from the EPC. It's more obvious here that they are different, 95+ is missing a lot more material on the one side.
You must be registered for see images

As far as the bracket mount, It would work without it, but still, I would highly suggest using it. Why?
First off, the bracket aas thickness to it and it's mounting surface for the bracket is lower than the truck's structure by 1/8"-3/16".
Second, if your welding the bracket directly, you have less material to weld to (only the center 1/3), and the loads will be concentrated there instead of spread out.
Third, the mount allows you to bolt it in and locates it in the proper position.
And Fourth, the bracket was only $15, so why not?

Pict of said bracket, GM part number 15611292

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had 2 pedal bracket setups, one from a '92 and the pic above is off a '95, they were the same. I have seen 'rado's bracket though, and it was different, quite a bit actually, I'm wondering if his was a pre-88, or if it was from an early '88 that used an older style or something.

here is a pic of his different cluctch bracket. you can see its very different.

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I went through the EPC and indeed, the pedal brackets are different between 88-94 and 95-98.
My pedal VS Aloicious. In these picts they look damn similar to me. Maybe the angles are playing with my mind but I'd say his pict is of an earlier setup, no?
88-94 VS 95-98 from the EPC. It's more obvious here that they are different, 95+ is missing a lot more material on the one side.

As far as the bracket mount, It would work without it, but still, I would highly suggest using it. Why?
First off, the bracket aas thickness to it and it's mounting surface for the bracket is lower than the truck's structure by 1/8"-3/16".
Second, if your welding the bracket directly, you have less material to weld to (only the center 1/3), and the loads will be concentrated there instead of spread out.
Third, the mount allows you to bolt it in and locates it in the proper position.
And Fourth, the bracket was only $15, so why not?

I think you both have the 95+ clutch bracket. Mine is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 88-91/92. It is from an OBS for sure though.

-Whatever thickness the bracket adds is negated by the fact that it still, ultimately is welded to the sheetmetal structure of the cab, which is without a doubt the weakest link, either with, or without the upper bracket.
-The bracket may be 1/8" lower when installed, once again this doesn't matter b/c even without the bracket there to space it out, you still get full travel on the clutch master pushrod W/O it.
-If you weld up the rear part of the bracket, along with the sides (like I did) there will be more than enough weld to anchor the bracket and spread the load, even W/O welding the sides.
- I agree that the bracket is a convenience to have, since it allows you to bolt it in, however just inserting the threaded studs on the front of the clutch bracket through the firewall and tightening some nuts down will position it properly, W/ OR W/O the upper bracket.
-Lastly a PROPERLY welded joint is ALWAYS stronger than a riveted, or bolted joint.

I've run my clutch pedal setup without that upper bracket for 2 years now. Even with a ton of pedal stomping and hard driving, it has held up just fine.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know for a fact the one actually in my truck is from a '92, but the pictures in this thread are from one out of a '95, which is the same as my '92. I really don't know when they altered it but it was definantly before '92. you pulled yours out of a '88 right?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
I think you both have the 95+ clutch bracket. Mine is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 88-91/92. It is from an OBS for sure though.

-Whatever thickness the bracket adds is negated by the fact that it still, ultimately is welded to the sheetmetal structure of the cab, which is without a doubt the weakest link, either with, or without the upper bracket.
-The bracket may be 1/8" lower when installed, once again this doesn't matter b/c even without the bracket there to space it out, you still get full travel on the clutch master pushrod W/O it.
-If you weld up the rear part of the bracket, along with the sides (like I did) there will be more than enough weld to anchor the bracket and spread the load, even W/O welding the sides.
- I agree that the bracket is a convenience to have, since it allows you to bolt it in, however just inserting the threaded studs on the front of the clutch bracket through the firewall and tightening some nuts down will position it properly, W/ OR W/O the upper bracket.
-Lastly a PROPERLY welded joint is ALWAYS stronger than a riveted, or bolted joint.

I've run my clutch pedal setup without that upper bracket for 2 years now. Even with a ton of pedal stomping and hard driving, it has held up just fine.

My clutch pedal bracket is from a 94. I'm 100% positive it is from a 94 because I pulled all the parts from the same truck to do the swap. It was a 94 K2500 with a TBI454/NV4500/NP241/14FF. I did a little searching (below) and it looks like your bracket is actually from a 96+.

As far as mounting the bracket, I'm not doubting whether or not welding it would work by any means, I just feel that the using the mount is a better option. I agree it can be welded in (and probably stronger if you weld enough) but I'm sure it was bolted in for a reason. Plus in cases like this, I like keeping things along the lines of factory.

I know for a fact the one actually in my truck is from a '92, but the pictures in this thread are from one out of a '95, which is the same as my '92. I really don't know when they altered it but it was definantly before '92. you pulled yours out of a '88 right?

Mine came from a 94. I just did some more searching in the EPC. As it turns out, the two styles are 88-95 and 96-98. The earlier style (the one that my pedal and both of yours are) are the early style. Style 90'Rado has is the 96+ style. To me it makes sense since 96+ are vortec motored trucks and something under dash must have changed enough to need the space.....

96+ clutch bracket, part number 15030123.

Judging by the EPC, 95's were to have the newer bracket but probably didn't for some reason or another.... or it was possibly a running year change? I'm not sure. I'm still trying to track down the 88-95 clutch bracket part number to confirm, but it has been discontinued.